CAT industrial engines
Repower UB public bus
Power System Division, WAE
Problem: Ulaanbaatar (UB), the
world’s second most polluted city
The second most polluted city, perhaps
surprisingly, is Ulan Bator, the capital of
Emissions from motor vehicles, industries,
and power stations as well as road dust and
household garbage burning are increasing in
Mongolia, the report states.
Bus used in public transport in UB
• Ulaanbaatar have 500-600 public bus
• mostly used bus from Hyundai, Daewoo,
Korean supplier .
Engines used in Korean bus
• HYUNDAI bus
• Engine model D6AV
• 6 in-line cylinder
• Max power 220psi
• Torque 75 kg*m
Organizations related to Air pollution
• Municipality of UB
– Mission : Reduce air pollution of UB by 40%, but failed
• Ministry of Environment and Green Development
– “New Development” mid term strategy
– Introduce gas or electric engine to public transportation
• Ministry of Road and transportation
• Clean Air Foundation
• Clean Development Mechanism Mongolia
1 THE MONGOLIAN LAW ON AIR
2 LAW ON GOVERNMENT SPECIAL FUNDS
3 ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION LAW OF MONGOLIA
4 BUDGET LAW
5 GOVERNMENT RESOLUTION 273
6 LAW OF MONGOLIA ON ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT ASSESSMENTS
Project info: Smokeless stove
• Reduced smoke stove
• Supplied to 120k stoves to coal firing
Households in Ger District of UB
• Project Organizer: Millenium Challenge
Account (MCA), Clean Air Foundation (CAF),
Government of Mongolia, UB Municipal,
• Smokeless stove cost 400,000 MNT.
Household have to pay 10% ( 40,000 MNT)
90% is funded by MCA & CAF.
• Project result: reduce air pollition by 20 %.
( from internet source)
Projects of Clean Air Foundation
д/д Actions Quantity Date
1 Financial support for assembling of 9 Duobuses 9 2011-2012 266,8
2 Establishment of LPG (Liquid Petroleum Gas) stations /4 stationary, 4 mobile/ 6 2012-2013 81,6
Supply and installation of motor vehicle's emission reducing equiptment /2510
1658 2013 747,0
4 Supply of Motor vehicle's emission measuring instrument 3 2013 408,4
Prevent air from motor vehicle's air pollutant emission, receive community
feedbacks, logo publishing, propaganda /Ministry of Transportation/
Translation of Laws related to transportation, adopt international
standards. /Ministry of Transportation/ 2013 6,1
Approximately 20% of air pollution comes from the motor vehicle emissions.
In 2013, 1.5 billion MNT were spent for transportation's sector.
Previous project: Installing LPG/ Diesel
Dual fuel engines on Public Bus
• Spent : 3.5 billion MNT ( 2.5 Million USD)
• Plan to reduce air pollution by 20%
• Plan to install at 400 buses
• Project implementer: Tour Telecom
• Project begin December, 2011
• Equipment from Ukrain; costs 4930 eur including
installation, 3250 eur eqipment only
• Equipment doesn’t fit DAEWOO bus
• Project failed.
What Wagner Asia want
• Repower CAT engine to UB public transportation
• Introduce CAT aftertreatment technology
• Need support from CAT Industrial
• Looking for same mechanism as Smokeless stove
• A lot of work have to with Government of Mongolia,
UB Municipal, Clean Air Foundation etc
• Introduce Tier II or III engines to Mongolia.
• Need to do pilot project, repower one bus to show.