MOUNT PARICUTIN ERUPTED BETWEEN FEBRUARY 1943 AND 1952.
PARICUTIN VOLCANO, MEXICOIt is located in Mexico, about 200 miles west of Mexico
THIS VOLCANO IS A CINDER CONE VOLCANO, ALSO CALLED
STROMBOLLIAN ERUPTION. A STROMBOLIAN ERUPTION IS GUSHING LAVA
FROM ONE VENT.
DURING THE ERUPTION, THE VOLCANO MEASURED A 7.5.ON THE RICHTER
A 7.5 MEANS GREAT DAMAGE.
Paricutin is near the:
the Pacific Plate,
and the Cocos Plate.
THE ERUPTION TOOK PLACE IN A CORNFIELD, ON FEBRUARY 20, 1943.
A FARMER NAMED DIONISIO PULIDO WAS WORKING IN HIS FIELD WHEN HE SAW THE
GROUND CRACK AND SWELL 6 FEET HIGH! THE AIR SMELLED LIKE ROTTEN EGGS.
The eruption generated a 50meter high cinder cone within 24 hrs. One week later, it was 100
meters high, which is taller than a football field!
THE DAMAGE DONE FROM THE VOLCANO AND LAVA WAS OVER 10 MILES.
OVER 7000 PEOPLE HAD TO RELOCATE.
BEFORE AND AFTER
The Cathedral of San Juan
Parangarancutiro was covered in lava up
to the church tower. The church was 2.8
miles away from the volcano.
THIS VOLCANO IS NOW A TOURIST ATTRACTION, AND IS ONE OF THE SEVEN
WONDERS OF THE WORLD.
THIS VOLCANO IS NOW DORMANT, AND STANDS UP TO BE 10,400 FT. HIGH!
• It is now classified as an extinct volcano.
• Scientist were able to study the birth, activity and the death of a volcano.
• Lava cools ands hardens to make basalt.
• Cinder cone volcanoes are the most common types of volcanoes.
• The lava flowed 196 per minute= 11,760 feet per hour.
• The lava started flowing 5 days after the eruption.
• A cinder cone is also called scoria
• A holly wood movie was filmed by the church called ‘Captain from Castile’