Enterprise IT vs. Consumer Internet
Reason #1 Few investment on enterprise IT start-ups
China Cloud Players
Public Cloud and Service Hosting
Private Cloud(Cloud Software Vendors)
Incumbents - Baidu Cloud
• Under Baidu Open Platform, not a
• More focused on PaaS and core business
• PaaS - BAE(Baidu App Engine)
• Web Hosting/MySQL/Memcache/ …
• Virtual Machines(Only open to partners)
• Cloud Storage(S3 and Dropbox Like Service)
• Mobile Services( Push, LBS, Messages)
Incumbents - Ali Cloud
• Aliyun is a independent company of Ali Group
• 1000 devs and 3 year to build such a cloud from
• No.1 IaaS cloud provider
• Build core technologies from scratch, yet
famous for its poor IO performance
• Core Services
• ECS(Elastic Computing Service)
• OSS(Open Storage Service, S3-Like API)
Incumbents - Tencent Cloud
• Not public available, only open to its own SNS
• Core Services
• CVM(Cloud Virtual Machine)
• CEE(Cloud Elastic Engine)
• CDB(Cloud Database)
Incumbents - Sina Cloud
PaaS – Sina App Engine(SAE)
The first and most popular PaaS in China
Built from scratch, integrated with OpenStack
Incumbents - BATS
Observations & Personal Comments
• Cloud(PaaS/IaaS/Hosting) is not a serious business for BATS.
• BATS’s clouds are built up earlier than OpenStack, they are built from scratch.
• No absolute cloud leader in China, customers are often confused to choose.
• There are dozens of other smaller public cloud/hosting providers, most of
them are struggling to survive, some of them are almost dead.
China Cloud Players
Incumbents – Windows Azure China
• Chinese version of Windows Azure
• Microsoft's technology and Brand + VNET’s license and
• Partnered with 21vianet(VNET), MS commit to $100M to the
• Still in invitation-only status.
• Powerful serious public cloud player in China
OpenStack is replacing the legacy infrastructure software stack
Self-developed VM Management Platform
Cloud Storage Platform
Database DBA Operation System
Hadoop Management Platfrom
Physical Resources Provisioning System
OpenStack restructures the infrastructure team
OpenStack leads to converged infrastructure
OpenStack User Survey
410 participants, from about 350 companies
Which industry are your organizations in?
Responses to “What is the current stage of OpenStack in your company?”
Responses to “What is hindering the development of OpenStack in your Company?
Responses to “Which OpenStack release are you using?”
Responses to “What OpenStack projects are you using or used?”
“Describe the workloads or applications running in your Openstack
China OpenStack Players
Selling hardware that integrates or supports
Huawei, Ruijie Networks,
Hillstone, Centec Networks
Point solutions, usually software, that
provides subset of OpenStack functionality or
Basic packaging, some installation/setup, etc.
Complete, integrated, OpenStack slutions
with value adds
Professional or managed services to
customize or operate OpenStack
Value add on top of OpenStack deployments
Baidu, 360, iQiyi, Ctrip…
In OpenStack, we have diverse footprint on almost all core projects, such as
Nova, Neutron, Cinder, Swift, Ceilometer, Heat and etc.
2 core developers in OpenStack
Top 10 contributor
Biggest contributor in Asia.
UnitedStack has strong commitment and involvement to infrastructure open
source software, we have actively participated in these projects
How UnitedStack does business on OpenStack
Responses to “Which business model do you prefer if UnitedStack charges?
UnitedStack Business Strategies
Low cost and even free
Direct deliver to end user without broker/SI
Setup and operation without buying services.
Human UI, easy management dashboard
OpenStack has never been easier