5. We’re a community driven conference
= CfP speakers
help of 15
6. The programme
Check out your lanyard for details!
9:00 - 10:30: Plenary
11:00 - 17:00: Break-outs (+ this room)
17:00 - 17:30: Closing keynote in this room
18:00: Reception at Antwerp’s city hall*
Volunteers will walk us over there in groups of 30
7. Limited capacity in 2 break-out rooms
Limited capacity in break-out rooms:
During first coffee: claim a sticker for these break-out sessions
Without sticker, no entrance in a workshop
Next to Prentenkabinet:
● Free wifi zone + powerplugs
● Meeting/network room
8. Introducing the Open Currency
Donate Open Currency coins to working groups:
● Each speaker gets 10 ‘open currency’ coins.
● Attendees can buy ‘open currency’ coins
● Each coin represents 1 euro, which you can donate to our
different working groups:
○ Creative Commons Belgium
○ Wikimedia Belgium
○ OpenStreetMap Belgium
○ Open Tourism
○ Open Access Belgium
○ Open Transport (iRail)
17. Story that dates back to 2010
2010: Yeri Tiete received a Cease & Desist from
2012: Open Knowledge Belgium was founded to
defend rights and shield personal liability too
2015: Yeri hired by Fedict to help startups reuse
2016: NMBS/SNCB admits to have been on the
‘wrong side’ of history
18. Data exhaust: “All of the related data generated by
● Consists of virtual trails left behind,
similar to the exhaust from a vehicle, a
byproduct that reveals the trail it has
● Tells good stories about habits and
● The reuse of open data sets often
generates more insights and even
unexpected policy advice...
20. Status of the EU PSI-legislation adoption in Belgium
● The new European Directive on the re-
use of public sector information (PSI)
had to be adopted by all EU member
states prior to July 2015…
● Belgium is late, but almost there too…
● Setting standard with ‘open by default’
21. Status of the EU PSI-legislation adoption in Belgium
Belgium V V ?
Flanders V V 3/6/2015
Wallonia V V ?
Brussels V ? ?
22. Open Knowledge was recognised as grassroot
umbrella organisation for open data legislation
Grassroot input from & feedback
by Open Knowledge Belgium
Belgium V V V ?
Flanders V V V 30/6/2015
Wallonia V V V ?
Brussels V V ? ?
34. Company Register (ranking 58th)
Low score due to registration
requirement to: “secure the
data reception” →
35. 3. Where are those datasets?
Where do I find those open data pearls to fill my “holy grail”?
37. Location Data portal availability URL
Europe V https://open-data.europa.eu/
Belgium V http://data.gov.be/
Flanders V http://opendata.vlaanderen.be/
Wallonia V http://opendata.digitalwallonia.be/
Will be launched on
Data portals are the new black
47. From ad-hoc activity to a solid community
Our mission is to “support digital creativity concerning
tourism" and to host the “Open Standard for Tourism”
Vocabulary, which is a reusable Ontology for describing
Join the Community
Meeting, March 5,