You can always deposit your work in a repository: Easier to find with a search engine Services such as a digitial object identifier Open access may enhance citation rates
Add Associeted metadata
DOAJ is an online directory that indexes and provides access to high quality, open access, peer-reviewed journals search by subject, license and publisher
Pre-print: the version of the paper initially submitted to a journal publisher for consideration Post-print: paper accepted by the journal for publication Publisher’s version: the final page layout and formatting of the published version Embargo: distribution only after a certain date
KUL: Lirias, Gent: Biblio, Antwerpen: IRUA, Bxl: Pure or Di-Fuse… Opendoar provides a quality controlled list of academic open access repositories. search by subject, country, language, software or content type.
How will you access your data in five years? Flash drives/memory sticks Server of your institution
Icons: general Information, Open Access, licenses, Persistent identifiers, Certificates and Standards and policy.
You can search by subject, content type or country.
Restricted means that external users can overcome access barriers. Shared data is not open fe passwordprotection
If repositories meet certain standards, they can get a seal of approval: sustainability of your data. -long term preservation.
Integraty, datasets are accessible, are the datasets provided in a usable format, is the data reliable and does the repository provide a unique persistent identifier so the data can be referred to
- open to all research output from all fields of science, - all data gets a digital object identifier to make them easily and uniquely citable. - You can also create your own community where you can accept or reject all datasets, articles, but also working papers, presentation or images from your project. - It is integrated in reporting lines for research funded by the European commission via openAIRE. - Although they are highly supportive of open access they accept data under a variety of licenses. - It is safe: it uses the same cloud infrastructure as research data from CERN's Large Hadron Collider. It is a safe way to store data since data is stored in CERN Data Center. Both data files and metadata are kept in multiple online replicas. - They also integrated github. And if you would like to upload files straight from you dropbox, that’s possible too.
Article level metrics: metrics that measure the overall performance and reach of published research articles.
- post-print - Deposit in a Repository
Open Access publications and research data are harvested from repositories. But also descriptive metadata will be ingested and linked to publicatios. All this information is cleaned, de-duplicated and linked. By developing a European-wide research information system a range of services can be developed.
keep track of your research result.
Article-Level Metrics (ALMs): measuring the impact of research Further you can see the references made in the article and related data and similar publication.
equipped with a helpdesk system. specific questions: by the subject or by your function. Questions are answered by a team of specialist, not any on a technical level but there are people of all countries involved able to answer country specific questions; The NOADs: national open access desks, are representatives of open access for their country and can help you with any country specific questions.
Supporting infrastructures for Open Access
to Open Research
An overview of free Open Access tools
Project Assistant OpenAIRE, UGent
1. Publish in any journal of your choice
How make your publication OA?
Subscription based Open Access Journal
2. Deposit an OA version in a repository
2Open Access Week 21/10/2015
funder, grant ID number, acronym, publication date….
• Directory of Open Access Journals: DOAJ
• Article Processing Charge (APC)
Publishing in an OAjournal
Finding an OA journal:
3Open Access Week 21/10/2015
• SHERPA/ROMEO: www.sherpa.ac.uk/romeo
• Overview of copyright policies and self-archiving
Check publishers policies
What can I deposit?
4Open Access Week 21/10/2015
Before peer review
Period during which
access to the article
After peer review
5Open Access Week 21/10/2015
Article Level Metrics
Link with funding information
16Open Access Week 21/10/2015
17Open Access Week 21/10/2015
• Open Access pilot:
7 areas (special clause 39)
• Obligation to provide Open
Access in all areas
• Allowed embargoes:
• Allowed embargoes: 6/12
• Research data pilot in 9 areas
or you can opt-in
OpenAccess in Horizon 2020
“Ensure open access…
as soon as possible and at the latest
on publication, deposit a machine-
readable electronic copy of the
published version or final peer-
reviewed manuscript accepted for
publication in a repository for
• The grant agreement states:
An Open Knowledge & Research Information Infrastructure.
OpenAIRE : aims for the widest possible
dissemination of, and access to research
output. Offers infrastructure, tools,
information and helpdesk system
POLICY OF THE
19Open Access Week 21/10/2015
OpenAIRE as infrastructure
A mini EU-CRIS system
Data Providers OpenAIRE Platform Services
What can we do?
Integrated scientific information:
Metadata, publications, data, funders information,
• Help with reporting
• Generate a publication lists
• Disseminate your project
21Open Access Week 21/10/2015
• Help with reporting:
• You can find your publications and project
listed at www. openaire.eu. This is embedded
in the EC’s project portal (Cordis).
• Generate your publication lists:
• OpenAIRE provides you with a button that
will automatically generate a publication list.
• Disseminate your project:
• Embed information in own website
• Use info and statistics
• Add publications and data to your project
30Open Access Week 21/10/2015
How can we help?
Ask a question
• The National Open
Access Desks (NOADs):
• Support on a national
32Open Access Week 21/10/2015
Open Access Journals:
Open Access Repositories:
Or use Zenodo:
Check for Article
This is a derivative based on a scheme by “www.fosteropenscience.eu”, used under CC BY.