Historically, search engine optimization (SEO) has been predicated on a mysterious, black box model for page rankings. However, as Google and other search engines have provided transparency into the rules used to order and return search results, that is no longer the case. Google is urging website owners to “make pages primarily for users, not search engines” and is regularly updating its algorithms to penalize sites that try to ‘game’ SEO.
So, what does SEO mean now? Join One North’s Managing Director of Technology, Ryan Horner, as he shares a simple and straightforward explanation from industry experts on how search engines really work and what factors contribute to search engine rankings. Discover how your firm can develop a strategy that will maximize your visibility, in a clear and transparent way.
To view a recording of the webinar, visit http://bit.ly/1blN4Kx.
Relevant Results Are Essential
*Search from April, 2009
Google is Being Transparent
• SEO is about creating a great website with great content
that users want to visit and share.
– “…focus on creating high quality sites that create a good user
experience.” -Matt Cutts, head of Google WebSpam team
• From Google’s perspective:
– Sites that deserve to be on top should be on top.
– You earn the top spot by being what Google users would
consider the best result for a keyword.
Goal: Is it easy to access
• Can search engines easily ‘crawl’
pages on the site?
• Does the site manage duplicate
content issues well?
• Does the site load quickly?
• Are URLs short & do they contain
• Does your site work well for mobile
visitors, on smartphones and tablets?
• Do you show search engines
different pages than humans?
• Do HTML title tags contain
keywords relevant to page topics?
• Do meta description tags describe
what pages are about?
• Do headlines & subheads use
header tags w/ relevant keywords?
• Do pages use structured data to
• Do you excessively use words you
want pages to be found for?
• Do colors or design ‘hide’ words
you want pages to be found for?
Goal: Are you making it
clear what your pages
Goal: Are you providing
unique value to visitors?
• Are pages well written & have
substantial quality content?
• Have you researched the keywords
people may use to find your content?
• Do pages use words & phrases you
hope they’ll be found for?
• Do visitors spend time reading or
‘bounce’ away quickly?
• Are pages fresh & about ‘hot’
• Is content ‘thin’ or ‘shallow’ &
• Is your content ad-heavy, especially
‘above the fold?’
Goal: Do other quality
sites link to you?
• Are links from trusted, quality or
• Do links pointing at pages use words
you hope they’ll be found for?
• Do links point at your web pages?
• Have you purchased links in
hopes of better rankings?
• Have you created many links by
spamming blogs, forums or other places?
Goal: Are you
• Do links, shares & other factors
make your site a trusted authority?
• Has your site or its domain been around
a long time, operating in the same way?
• Does your site use means to verify
its identity & that of authors?
• Has your site been flagged for
hosting pirated content?
Goal: Do people share
you on social networks
and visit often?
• Do those respected on social
networks share your content?
• Do many share your content on
• What country is someone located in?
• What city or local area is someone
• Has someone regularly visited your
site or socially favored it?
• Have your friends socially favored
• SEOMoz Site Explorer
• Microsoft SEO Analysis Tool
• Google Webmaster Tools
• Google Analytics
Tools – Google Webmaster Tools
• Search Appearance
– mark up your pages
– potentially influence how your pages appear
• Search Traffic
– how people find your site
– who links to your site
• Google Index
– Page count
– Keyword matches
– URL Removal
– Crawl Errors
– What Google sees
Tools – Google Analytics
• Browser and Device Usage
– Make sure you are serving all your users
• How users get to your site
– Inbound links, search engine keywords
• Social Media Usage
– Facebook, google+, Delicious, etc.
• Page Speed
– With Recommendations
An Ongoing Process
Picture SEO View
Have a Great