Read the material and then answer the
Be prepared to explain your answers!
• Review opportunity cost
• Understand the difference
between a positive and
What is the difference?
• 'lf the state pension is cut
in half, 100,000
pensioners will die of
hypothermia in a cold
• 'The state pension should
be cut in half because
pensioners are parasites
• A positive statement
is a statement that
can be tested
against evidence to
see whether it is
true or false. 'The
moon is made of
green cheese' is a
even though we
know it is
• A normative
statement is a
which others may
be tested to see if
it is true or false.
Why do you need to know this?
• Whenever you are reading articles on current
affairs it is important to be able to distinguish
between objective and subjective statements.
• Often, the person writing an article has a
particular argument to make and will include
subjective statements about what ought to be
or what should be happening.
• Their articles carry value judgements; they are
trying to persuade you of the particular merits
or demerits of a policy decision. These articles
may be wholly or partially lacking in objectivity.
Have a go at these!
1. Cut-price alcohol has increased the demand
for alcohol among teenagers
2. The government is right to introduce a ban on
smoking in public places.
3. The retirement age should be raised to 70 to
combat the effects of our ageing population.
4. Chellaston Academy should take less students.
5. Pollution is the most serious economic
6. If the government raises the tax on beer, this
will lead to a fall in profits of the brewers
7. Children who live in Melbourne should go to
school at Sinfin.