Haris Linardakis gives insight into the IBM viewpoint on Open Data | OSFair2017 Workshop
Workshop title: EOSC meets enterprises' needs
Do you want to know more about the view of the industry on the European Open Science Cloud (EOSC)? Join us to discuss on what the industry thinks about EOSCpilot and what their expectations are.
OSFair2017 Workshop | “EOSC meets enterprises’ needs”: A view from IBM
“EOSC meets enterprises’ needs”
A view from IBM
Athens – 8 Sep 2017
some key events have added momentum to the opening up of government data:
in 2013 G8 leaders signed an Open Data Charter - promising to make public sector data
openly available, without charge and in re-useable formats.
In 2014 G20 largest industrial economies followed up by pledging to advance open data
as a tool against corruption
“Open data is data that anyone can access,
use and share”
The Open Data Institute
What is Open Data?
Open Data – benefits to society and industry
• Data is becoming the new natural resource and the fuel for innovation.
Monopoly of data raises fundamental questions for society and economics and
can be misused to undermine consumers and democracy as recent events
• Open Data allows Multi-disciplinary = cross fertilization of ideas = New fields of
• Will Help reduce skill shortage in Europe in Data Science and provide
resources to industry.
• Open Data will drive Machine Learning and AI which depend on access to
sufficient Data models and size.
Creating attractive and competitive business environments are key elements
to driving economic vitality within a region or country
IBM IBV report – Improving Economic Competitiveness and vitality
By opening up Public Sector and Research data
and supporting a creative and innovative
environment, Governments can boost
Economic Vitality in a number of areas and
Open data leads to Economic Vitality
… Technology enabling a new era of innovation.
Institutions + Individuals + Public + Industry = Innovation at scale
…Science is CRITICAL for Europe Competitive Advantage.
BUT traditional methods do not scale beyond institutions
Big Data &
IBM has a long history of leading innovation with open technology
We believe cloud technology and economics are evolving towards a “hybrid,
Open, Multi-Cloud” model which will serve the aims of EOSC.
We continue advocating Open Projects
Example = Helix Nebula Science Cloud
Overview of HNSciCloud
•Helix Nebula Science Cloud is a "First of a Kind" initiative to develop a Hybrid
Cloud Platform for Data Intensive Science for use by 10 leading European
•Funded by the European Commission.
•Joint development procurement model.
•In the longer term this platform is applicable beyond research and must be
made available to Public Sector institutions and European Commercial
– Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron (DESY), Germany;
– Karlsruher Institut für Technologie (KIT), Germany;
– European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), Germany;
– Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, (CNRS), France ;
– European Synchotron Radiation Facility (ESRF), France.
– Istituto Nazionale di Fisica Nucleare (INFN), Italy;
– Institut de Física d’Altes Energies (IFAE), Spain ;
– SURFsara, the Netherlands;
– Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC), United Kingdom;
– European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN), Switzerland;
Challenges defined by Buyers Group
Focused on three challenges for which solutions are not available and where R&D is necessary:
Source = HNSciCloud
Compute & Storage:
Support a range of virtual machine and container
configurations to address defined use cases which
are demanding in terms of CPU performance and
throughput. Efficient and transparent access to
data and metadata is key.
Network Connectivity & Federated Identity
Ensure a large network capacity in multiples of 10
Gbps between the Contractors’ facilities and the
Buyers Group data centers via the GÉANT network
using IPv4/NAT/VPN solutions. Support for inter-
federation services such as eduGAIN .
Service Payment Models:
Establish a range of purchasing options (pay-as-
you-go, spot-market pricing, pre-emptible
instances, reservation-based, over-night/low-priority