"ORCID at Universiti of Kuala Lumpur" presented by Puan Pazilah Hamzah, Senior Manager and Head of the Tunku Azizah Knowledge Centre at Universiti Kuala Lumpur, at the ORCID Malaysia workshop on 28 February 2017.
Who we are …
UniKL started out with the amalgamation of seven (7)
technical institutes into a entrepreneurial
technical university in 2002.
ORCID @ UNIKL
• February 2017 - PPM and MCC organized a talk on ORCID
• Shared the information with the research committee (URPC)
• Engaged with Research Center and ITD in a meeting the next month
• Highlight the benefits of ORCID in STAFOR – chaired by Dep.
President Academic and Technology
• A circular was sent to all campus academicians encouraging the
registration of ORCID
• Dep. President highlighted the importance of having ORCID during
his academic engagements with all campuses.
• Incorporating the implementation of ORCID in upgrading the
university research information systems/ research portal, it was just in
time approach to be aligned with the objectives.
Issues and Challenges
Generally, academics may see ORCID as ‘another level of bureaucracy’
resulting in a degree of resistance to using it.
Early career researchers tended to see the benefits of ORCID and embrace
them more positively than established researchers and senior academics.
Academics expressed concern about duplication of effort in entering their
information into numerous different systems. They often questioned what
benefits ORCID offered over existing proprietary identifiers, such as
Thomson Reuters ResearcherID and Scopus author ID, or profiling services
such as Academia.edu and ResearchGate.
Dealing with the challenges
Developing a clear communication rollout plan for ORCID
involving a multichannel approach involving
- email communication – monthly,
- web -based guidance, in researcher portal
- training sessions (librarians be the trainers) and
- other advocacy approaches,
- working together with ITD and CORI
- and most importantly - Key to the success of the projects is
the support from the top management
No. of ORCID registration to date
600/ 1532 with ORCID – 40%
600/ 825 with ORCID in Scopus