<ul><li>Georgetown University </li></ul><ul><li>Office of International Programs </li></ul><ul><li>October 2011 </li></ul>...
Today’s Agenda <ul><li>International Student Advisors </li></ul><ul><li>Session Topics </li></ul><ul><li>Melanie Buser </l...
Partnership: Communication
For the most part,
Admitting International Students  The Immigration Questionnaires and Expense Estimates can be accessed online. This link ...
I-20 & DS-2019 Forms <ul><li>F-1 Students </li></ul><ul><li>J-1 Students </li></ul>
Sample: F-1 and J-1 Visas
I-94 cards
Full-time Enrollment Requirement F-1/J-1 students are required to be enrolled full time each semester. Audited classes   D...
Authorized Reduced Course Loads <ul><li>International students may request and be approved for a  reduced course load thro...
Employment Options <ul><li>Employment requires PRIOR authorization (except F-1 on campus positions) </li></ul><ul><li>20 h...
Employment Options <ul><li>Off-Campus Work Permission (F-1 and J-1 students) </li></ul><ul><li>All off-campus employment a...
When Things Don’t Go Quite As Planned…
Challenge: Management of …
When to Contact OIP
Sources of Financial Support  More resources on financial aid for international students is available online:  http://oip...
Contact OIP We invite departments to contact OIP in any of the following ways: Students can always get in-person advice ei...
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in …5

Demystifying International Students


Published on

Published in: Education
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Total views
On SlideShare
From Embeds
Number of Embeds
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide
  • We rely on you, our academic partners to keep us informed. In any given situation, students need to be aware of how their reality affects their immigration status and vice versa. We do not expect you all to be experts in immigration law. We’re still interested in keeping our jobs. But we believe it is useful for you to know some immigration basics so you are aware of potential constraints they might have and can pull us into a situation when it’s appropriate.
  • Segway to next slide…..Who is our population…. INTERNATIONAL STUDENT Neither a U.S. Permanent Resident nor a U.S. citizen. OIP directly supports individuals who hold F-1 or J-1 nonimmigrant status sponsored by Georgetown for the primary purpose of engaging in a full-time course of study.
  • ADMISSION We understand that all of you are not directly involved in admissions. Whether you have direct control over the process or whether you support the students after they have been admitted, it’s important for us to provide an overview of the process and discuss how admission affects OIP’s ability to support the international student population. Immigration status is not a factor in admissions decision.   When an international student is admitted to GU, they must complete additional steps for immigration purposes. All non-U.S. citizens (including permanent residents and students who do not need immigration papers from Georgetown) must complete an Immigration Questionnaire (IQ).   They receive their letter of admission which directs them to a special page on our website where they will complete one of two IQs.   IMMIGRATION QUESTIONNAIRE For those who do not need documents from GU , they are required to report their immigration status on a short, online IQ. Nothing else is required of them.   For those who need docs from GU, they use a form fillable IQ and then email it, along with supplemental docs to a special OIP email address. Based upon the information on the IQ, those students will either receive an I-20 or DS-2019 Form so that they may apply for an F-1 or J-1 visa.   That being said, it is the policy of GU not to bar any one from study based on immigration status .   BANNER RECORDS Once we receive the IQ and supporting documentation, the first thing we do is check Banner for a learner record. We hope, that by this point, the student has returned their intent to matriculate form and deposit to the admissions office because that is what triggers/creates the learner record.   We can’t begin our process until the student has a Learner record in Banner.   If there is no Banner record (misspellings of name) If there is no Learner record   Issues that may arise: Admissions office has not yet received the forms from student Student has a waived deposit and admissions hasn’t entered IM in Banner Banner transition….lots of delays Email for IQ is fast but postal mail for forms is slow…..causes delay   If Banner record is complete, we will produce the I-20 or DS-2019 Form. We mail the document abroad along with a Welcome Letter instructing the student to review the Pre-Arrival Guide which gives them detailed information on applying for the F-1 or J-1 visa stamp.   DEADLINES AND TIMING OF ADMITTING AN INTERNATIONAL STUDENT We are often asked by students and departments “What is the deadline for completing the IQ? When is the last date I can apply for an immigration document?” OIP is willing to make documents up until the start of classes and can generally produce the document within 1-2 weeks after receiving a complete package.   If a student cannot make it to GU by the start of classes, we will communicate with the department to find the last day possible for the student to join the program.   However, the department and the student should keep in mind that the visa application process at a US embassy or consulate abroad is often time consuming and could take months to complete.   Things to consider: Wait time for an appointments Potential security background checks (relating to the student’s name, country of origin, and/or field of study) Processing time for visas (once a student has been approved) the visa application process may take months to complete.   Thus, we urge departments to admit students as early as possible and to encourage students to complete the IQ and forward it along with all relevant documentation to OIP immediately following admission so that students may complete the visa process before the start of classes.   MANDATORY IMMIGRATION SESSION Anytime a department admits an international student who receives documents from GU for F-1 or J-1 status, s/he is required to attend a mandatory immigration session. The immigration session, academic integrity sessions are absolutely mandatory for F-1 &amp; J-1 students and takes precedence over all other academic or departmental obligations.   Therefore, will communicate our fall 2012 orientation dates by mid-February 2012 to help Departments avoid scheduling conflicts. Departments who admitted students for January 2011 should note that this year’s Spring orientation will be held January 9 and 10 right here in the Car Barn.  
  • Document issued by Georgetown via the Department of Homeland Security’s SEVIS database that is used to acquire F-1 student status. Information on this document must always be kept up-to-date. Required as part of the I-9 process. Document issued by Georgetown via the Department of Homeland Security’s SEVIS database that is used to acquire J-1 student status. The information on this document must always be kept up-to-date. Required as part of the I-9 process. I-20 for F-1 students : shows level of study, major, how long we anticipate the program to last, costs of program and sources of financial support.
  • An entry document issued by a consulate/embassy abroad. It is not part of the I-9 process and can expire without repercussion during the program of study. It must always be valid at the time of reentry to the United States. Visa : For many students, their visa expires at some point during the course of their studies – that’s OK. This is only a travel document and does not indicate their legal status in the U.S.
  • Small white card issued by Immigration at the point of entry to the United States which serves as proof of immigration status. Required as part of the I-9 process. Upon entry, almost everyone is issued a Form I-94 whish shows: That the person didn’t just sneak into the country, What legal status they were given, Date of admission, Where, How long they can stay. In case of people admitted in F or J status they get this funny D/S annotation which stands for Duration of Status – this correlates generally to the length of their academic program as defined on their underlying documents Once we have checked all processed immigration documents and the student has attended an immigration session, we can register the student’s record.
  • F-1 and J-1 immigration status require full time enrollment. Admissions standards should be such that all admitted students have the background and English proficiency to take on a full time courseload. For most students, the full time enrollment requirement is clear: undergrads 12 credits, Most grads 9 credits, but more or less depending on the general program requirement. However, other programs are not quite as clear. The post-Bac program full time requirement is 12 credits, like the undergrads, while the doctoral students who have either finished their coursework or who are doing a combination of coursework and dissertation research may have either zero or less than 9 credits. For those who run non-degree/credit bearing programs, the students must take the courseload associate with the level of education. For example: Fellows in Foreign Service – 9 credits For those who run non-degree/non-credit programs, there is often an 18 classroom hour (clock hour) requirement. Full time enrollment ensures that students will make the progress they need to complete their studies by the end date on the immigration document. Students who are not full-time by the end of the add/drop period violate their international students status. We work closely with departments, students and the Registrar to make sure that all students enroll in a full course load each term. If you know students have a hold on their Registration, or if they are working on adding into a class, or if they are struggling with financial issues that make registration impossible, please let us know!
  • There are limited reasons why a student could receive authorization from OIP to reduce below the full time courseload. For each reason, OIP requires documentation and the student must receive authorization in SEVIS and on the immigration document before the courseload reduction can take effect.
  • While our students see work authorization and resume building as a professional necessity for their post graduation plans, the Government only grudgingly provides limited opportunities for F1 and J1 students to work or accept paid internships. F-1 and J-1 students have separate processes for securing work authorization, both on and off campus. First, let’s be clear on what we mean by employment. The definition of employment is compensation for services rendered. Therefore, whenever students are in a position that they are offering services, time, experience and are receiving some sort of compensation (paycheck, stipend, airline ticket, housing, etc) they must have work authorization. J-1 students must have authorization to even take an unpaid internship. I’ll quickly go through the various types of work authorization so you have a better sense of their options. Both F1 and J1 students can work on campus from the time they arrive in the United States until graduation. Not related to field of study. They are both limited to a maximum of 20 hours per week when school is in session and can work full time during official breaks and vacations. That 20 hours is not an average – it is a total upper limit for all campus jobs. This means that students who is a research assistant for an MBA professor at 10 hours per week cannot work more than 10 hours per week for the French department as a drill instructor. Students are reminded of this restriction at the beginning of every term but it is important for departments to be aware when an international student is working two or more on campus jobs. Suspicion about working more than 20 – give us a call, not writing. F1 students, who already have a social security number, just show their documents for the I-9 process and can begin work immediately. F1 students who need a social security number will ask the hiring department for a letter (the template is on our website in the social security link) to take to the social security administration on M Street. We really push the M street location with our students because the staff there is comfortable with international student/scholar applications. Other SSA offices have proven time and time again that they do not know how to handle this population. J1 students, on the other hand, need an authorization letter from OIP in order to be eligible for on campus work. Departments must ask to see that letter (and ask for an updated letter every year if the student will work more than 12 months) in addition to the immigration documents for the purpose of filling out the I9 work eligibility form. TA Grad Policy: The Teaching &amp; Research Assistantships associated with Grad School Service Awards are special situations: are calculated at 15 hours per week. We know that some weeks may require less time and some more, but since the hours are not clocked and no time sheet is filled out, a TA is assumed to be busy for 15 hours per week. This means that s/he can is limited to working on 5 additional hours in a second on campus job – even in weeks that they do no absolutely nothing as a TA. The Resident Assistantships are another special situation. Again, because there is no time sheet completed, the RA is assumed to be busy with residence hall responsibilities for a full 20 hours per week. This means that they are not eligible for a second on campus position – even in weeks when they are not busy with RA responsibilities.
  • F-1 CPT: One of three F1 work authorizations. CPT authorization is designed for students who are either enrolled in an internship course or whose program requires an internship in the field of study as part of the degree requirements. Unless there is a graduate requirement that an internship be completed in the first year…. Before being eligible for CPT, a student must be full time for one academic year. This means that students who begin their studies in August will be eligible to use this authorization in May. They can only use this authorization prior to their completion of studies. If the program or school offers an internship course, the student must enroll in the course, pay the course fee and then may work off campus during the course dates. The program determines the number of times a student can enroll in the internship course as well as the requirements of the course. If the internship is a requirement for graduation, the department/program determines which internships fulfill that requirement but students are not bound by course dates or tuition. In both cases, the student must complete the CPT application that is found on our website and get a recommendation from his/her program chair/dean or department administrator. Since OIP is able to authorize this type of work directly, the process takes 3-5 days in our office. If your program does not offer an internship course or you’d like to talk about moving toward a degree requirement, please speak with me afterward and we can walk through the immigration part of the process together. F-1 OPT: Most F-1 students are eligible to apply for OPT for a job in their field of study and approval is almost guaranteed. It is a 12 month bank of work authorization that can be used during the course of study, saved for post-graduation or used in combination. Many students save the whole 12 months to offer to an employer post graduation. Students must be full time for one academic year before being eligible. Because of the long processing time with the DHS, this means that students should start thinking about applying in February for summer work or post graduation plans and September for December graduation. Since they can apply without a job offer in hand, they control this process more than any other. The application is on our website, requires a recommendation by a dean, chair or program administrator and there is also a $380 fee each time a student requests to use the work authorization. The most dishearteneing aspect of OPT is that the authorization process takes 3 months and students cannot begin work until they have the EAD in hand and the date is current. For those of you who may hire a student on OPT, it’s important to remember that – EAD is part of the I-9 process, that work must be in field of study and that on-campus work requires an EAD after the graduation date passes. F-1 Working with an International Organization: This work authorization is specific to international organizations as defined by the International Immunities Act and applies to institutions like the World Bank, United Nations, IMF, WHO and International Finance Corp. For a full list, see our website under forms and apps. Sometimes it feels like work with an international organization is the most difficult of all the work authorizations. Students need a job offer letter from an international organization before they can apply, the fee for the application is $380 and the processing happens over a 3 month period with the DHS. It sounds ridiculous to many of us that an organization would wait 3 months for an employee after extending an offer, but the international organizations generally operate on a contract basis and anticipate contracts months in advance. The best part of this work authorization is that there is no waiting period. Students can pursue a position at one of these organizations immediately upon entering the United States. It also technically does not need to be related to the field of study. J-1 AT: (mostly off campus) J-1 students have it easy! No waiting periods. No fees. Can get authorization during the course of study or after graduation – or a combination of both. If they find a position in a field directly related to their degree, they bring the job offer letter with a completed application to OIP and we authorize the work generally within 3 business days. They can work up to 20 hours per week when school is in session and full time on breaks and vacations. If they are a J-1 student, but Georgetown did not issue the DS2019 document, the student must request the authorization from his/her sponsor instead of OIP. J-1 – even unpaid work must be authorized. Also important to know from the employer standpoint.
  • So in the best of all possible worlds, you would immediately discuss your situation with your academic department and with OIP so we can work together to work through the problem. We’d follow university policies and procedures to manage the academic side of the problem and then we’d work together to managing your immigration options. What kinds of situations are we talking about here?
  • Finding a balance…
  • New programs: talk about the program verification form, when to contact OIP (early in the process), OIP will have to review
  • Financial aid for international students is limited. When students come to us with questions about funding, we direct them to our website. On our website, you will find a link with ideas on how to research financial aid prospects. The financial aid link directs students to scholarship search engines, sponsoring foundations, banks that work with non-US citizens and their US citizen co-signors. The process takes time and patience and not all students will be eligible for all scholarships. In the end… there is no “easy” money to be had. Many students come to the United States believing that once they’ve made it across our borders, finding additional sources of funding will be easy. They often begin with their departments, then they move on to financial aid and finally they make their way to OIP, frustrated and despairing. The fact is that in almost all cases, loans to non-US citizens are only possible with a U.S. citizen co-signor, the federal aid managed by the University is only available to US citizens and US permanent residents and OIP has only one scholarship - The Bou scholarship, which becomes available to F-1 and J-1 graduate students at the beginning of April every year and consists of two $2500 grants. We generally receive 35-40 applications for those two awards. At the undergraduate level, if funding is not awarded upon admission it is nearly impossible to get. At the graduate level, the program or department is the primary source of funds. There are primarily two types of awards, outright grants or scholarships and those requiring some sort of service component. While scholarships can be given to any student, even those students without a valid status, service award can only be given to non-US citizens who have work permission. All F and J students do have on campus work permission immediately upon entering the country (they do not have to wait until the start of the semester) but are limited to a maximum of 20 hours per week while school is in session.
  • Our general website provides information about all these topics and our department administrators’ page specifically addresses issues that depts. face regularly regarding international student issues. You can always contact us by phone – our advising loads are listed here on our staff page. Lastly, please remember that, in the case of an after-hours emergency regarding F-1 and J-1 students, please contact DPS at 7-4343, who will get in touch with our Director.
  • Demystifying International Students

    1. 1. <ul><li>Georgetown University </li></ul><ul><li>Office of International Programs </li></ul><ul><li>October 2011 </li></ul><ul><li>Demystifying International </li></ul><ul><li>Students </li></ul><ul><li>A guide for department administrators </li></ul>
    2. 2. Today’s Agenda <ul><li>International Student Advisors </li></ul><ul><li>Session Topics </li></ul><ul><li>Melanie Buser </li></ul><ul><li>Helene Robertson </li></ul><ul><li>Rachel Rubin </li></ul><ul><li>Giovanna Ubillus </li></ul><ul><li>Designated School Official (DSO) </li></ul><ul><li>Individuals formally authorized by the University to interact with the U.S. Federal Government and to carry out its legal responsibilities in managing the University’s F-1 program. </li></ul><ul><li>Alternate Responsible Officers (ARO) </li></ul><ul><li>Same function as DSO, but for J-1 program. </li></ul><ul><li>Introduction </li></ul><ul><li>Key Terms & Definitions </li></ul><ul><li>Admitting Students from Overseas </li></ul><ul><li>Full-Time Enrollment Requirement </li></ul><ul><li>Authorized Reduced Course Loads </li></ul><ul><li>Employment </li></ul><ul><li>When to Contact OIP </li></ul><ul><li>Sources of Financial Support </li></ul>
    3. 3. Partnership: Communication
    4. 4. For the most part,
    5. 5. Admitting International Students  The Immigration Questionnaires and Expense Estimates can be accessed online. This link is only provided to students who have been fully admitted to the University: http://oip.georgetown.edu/isss/vsq.htm .
    6. 6. I-20 & DS-2019 Forms <ul><li>F-1 Students </li></ul><ul><li>J-1 Students </li></ul>
    7. 7. Sample: F-1 and J-1 Visas
    8. 8. I-94 cards
    9. 9. Full-time Enrollment Requirement F-1/J-1 students are required to be enrolled full time each semester. Audited classes Do not count towards calculation of full-time status. Pass-Fail classes Classes taken as pass/fail count towards calculation of full-time status. On-Line classes Only 3 credits of on-line coursework count towards full-time status each semester.
    10. 10. Authorized Reduced Course Loads <ul><li>International students may request and be approved for a reduced course load through OIP in limited circumstances. </li></ul>
    11. 11. Employment Options <ul><li>Employment requires PRIOR authorization (except F-1 on campus positions) </li></ul><ul><li>20 hours per week while school is in session </li></ul><ul><li>Full time during official University breaks and vacations </li></ul><ul><li>On-Campus Work Permission (F-1 and J-1 students) </li></ul><ul><li>J-1 students must present a letter from OIP to authorize their on-campus employment. </li></ul><ul><li>F-1 students do not need any documentation from OIP to authorize on-campus work. </li></ul><ul><li>  </li></ul>The Graduate School has determined that teaching and research assistantships are the equivalent of 15 hours of work each week. The Office of Student Employment has determined that Residence Hall Assistants work the equivalent of 20 hours each week.  More information about on-campus employment is available online: http://oip.georgetown.edu/isss/employment.htm .
    12. 12. Employment Options <ul><li>Off-Campus Work Permission (F-1 and J-1 students) </li></ul><ul><li>All off-campus employment and paid internships must be authorized before employment begins. In the case of J-1 Academic Training, even unpaid internships must be authorized prior to beginning the internship. The OIP website gives specific information on the entire application process. </li></ul>Off-Campus Employment Type Eligible Academic Dean/Advisor Curricular Practical Training (CPT) F-1 students Signs Recommendation for CPT Form Optional Practical Training (OPT) F-1 students Signs Certification of Student Eligibility Form Work with an International Organization F-1 students Signs Certification of Student Eligibility Form Academic Training (AT) J-1 students Signs Part II of J-1 AT Request Form
    13. 13. When Things Don’t Go Quite As Planned…
    14. 14. Challenge: Management of …
    15. 15. When to Contact OIP
    16. 16. Sources of Financial Support  More resources on financial aid for international students is available online: http://oip.georgetown.edu/isss/Finaid.pdf .
    17. 17. Contact OIP We invite departments to contact OIP in any of the following ways: Students can always get in-person advice either by scheduling an appointment to meet with their assigned advisor or by coming to OIP during the walk-in advising hours (see website for days and times). They can also contact their advisors by email or telephone during business hours.  On the web: http://oip.georgetown.edu/isss  Via telephone: 202.687.5867  In person: 210 Car Barn 3520 Prospect Street, NW  By email: [email_address] or http://oip.georgetown.edu/staff.htm