Charles Robert Darwin
Born on 12 February 1809
Born at Shrewsbury , Shropshire , England (British)
Died on 19 April 1882 ( 73 years old )
Best known for contributions to evolutionary
Published his theory of evolution with compelling
evidence in his 1859 book On the Origin of Species
The Voyage of the Beagle
On the Origin of the Species
Evolution by the National Selection
• He was born at their family home on The
• Fifth of the sixth children of wealthy society
doctor and financier , Robert Darwin and
• A grandson of two prominent abolitionsts :
Erasmus Darwin and Josia Wedgewood
• At eight years old Charles Darwin had a taste
for natural history and collecting.
• His mother died on July 15 1817
early life ‘n’ education
Charles Darwin went to the best medical
school in the UK at that time, University of
Edinburgh Medical School on 1825.
He found lectures dull and boring.
Instead he learned taxidermy from John
Edmonstone . This neglect of medical studies
annoyed his father , who shrewdly sent him to
Chris college, Cambridge for a Bachelor of Arts
• He married Emma Darwin (who was his
cousin) on 1839 and had 10 children.
• William Erasmu Darwin, Anne Elizabeth
Darwin (who died at 10),Mary Eleanor Darwin
(who died before a month old),Harietta Emma
Darwin, George Howard Darwin, Horace
Darwin, Elizabeth Darwin, Francis Darwin,
Leonard Darwin, Charles Waring Darwin (who
died at 18 months old).