early childhood education and care which is provided for children before the compulsory education begins, pre-primary education which is provided for children in the year preceding the beginning of compulsory education, nine-year basic education (comprehensive school), which is compulsory, upper secondary education, which is either general upper secondary education or vocational education and training, and higher education provided by universities and universities of applied sciences. Furthermore, adult education is available at all levels.
The education system gives each student great flexibility. Binding decisions are not expected to be made at an early stage. The road all the way to tertiary education is untracked, with none of the paths leading to a dead end.
Koulutuksen järjestäjä vastaa HOSin laatimisesta ja päivittämisestä. Opiskelu ja näytöt suunnitellaan tutkinnon osa kerrallaan. Aiemmin monia erilaisia henkilökohtaistamisprosesseja ja -asiakirjoja.
Mitäs sanaa me mietittiin ”täsmäkoulutettujen” tilalle?
2. vet reform in finland
Ministry of Education and Culture
The reform of vocational
education and training
• The reform of vocational education and training is one of the key
projects included in Prime Minister Juha Sipilä’s Strategic Government
• The objective of the VET reform is to renew vocational education
and training by creating a competence-based and customer-
oriented system and to improve efficiency.
– Vocational Education Act 531/2017 (Finnish and Swedish versions) 1.1.2018
• One VET system for all: VET for young people and adults in the same
framework -> VET system based on lifelong learning
• Enhanced cooperation between VET institutions and working life
• Integrating vocational employment (leading to a qualification) education
to the VET system (transfer from the Ministry of Economic Affairs and
General Objectives of VET
• knowledge and skills necessary for vocational
competence and (self-) employment
• knowledge and skills needed in further studies
and in life-long learning
• support for personal growth and citizenship
Three types of qualifications
EQF level 4 Vocational qualifications indicate
competence to enter employment in the
EQF level 4 Further vocational qualifications
indicate the vocational skills required of
skilled worker in the field.
EQF level 5 Specialist vocational qualifications
indicate a command of the most
demanding tasks in the field.
Individual study path for all (1)
• Studies take better account of students’ individual
objectives, needs, skills and life situation.
• Objectives for competence development are
written down in a personal competence
• A teacher draws up the plan together with a
• An employer or another representative of a
workplace or other cooperation partners may also
participate in the preparation of the personal
competence development plan, where needed.
Individual study path for all (2)
• The plan includes information on, for example,
identification and recognition of prior learning,
studies in different learning environments,
competence demonstrations and other
demonstration of competence, and the necessary
guidance and support.
• The purpose of studies is to acquire only the
missing competences in a manner most
suitable for the student.
Skilled labour force for the
needs of working life
• The VET system will become clearer and easier to approach.
• Vocational qualifications and education will better than before be
based on the competence needs prevailing in the working life.
• Private companies and workplaces in the public sector will receive
more comprehensive services from the education providers.
• Vocational education and training will have uniform processes and
operating principles, which will make cooperation between the
educational field and the working and business life smoother.
• Working and business life will have a stronger role in ensuring the
high quality of education and its relevance to working life, while the
education provider is responsible for the administrative work.
Quicker access to employment
• Students may begin their studies flexibly at any time of the year due to the
year-round admission system.
• Access of comprehensive school graduates to education will be secured
through the joint application procedure system.
• Studies take better account of students’ individual objectives, needs, skills and
• Duration of studies is shortened and a more rapid access to employment or
further studies is enabled as the purpose of studies is to acquire only the
missing skills and competences.
• Guided learning at workplaces lowers the threshold for finding employment.
• Students will be provided with guidance and support at different stages of their
– instruction and guidance in different learning environments
– feedback on their competence development during studies
– personal and other necessary study guidance
– special support also for students pursuing further and specialist vocational
qualifications, where needed.
For more information,
visit our website: