Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.

F5 1.4 the lymphatic system (complete)

6,537 views

Published on

Published in: Education, Business, Technology
  • Be the first to like this

F5 1.4 the lymphatic system (complete)

  1. 1. What you should master in this topic: Describe the formation of interstitial fluid State the composition of interstitial fluid State the importance of interstitial fluid Describe the fate of interstitial fluid Describe the structure of the lymphatic system Explain how the lymphatic system complements the circulatory system Compare the contents of blood, interstitial fluid & lymph Predict what will happen if the interstitial fluid fails to return to the circulatory system Unit review
  2. 2. Blood flows from arteries into capillaries – higher hydrostatic pressure Forces some plasma pass through capillary walls into intercellular spaces between cells. Another 15% of interstitial fluid goes into lymph capillaries. Now, known as Lymph Now, the fluid known as Interstitial fluid @ tissue fluid It fills the spaces between cells & constantly bathes the cells. 85% of interstitial fluid re-enter the blood capillary
  3. 3. Importance Forms the internal environment of body Bathes the cells & supplies them with O2 & nutrients which diffuse from blood through the interstitial fluid into cells Excretory waste products diffuse out of the cells into interstitial fluid Composition About similar to blood plasma content but minus erythrocytes, platelets, plasma protein molecules (albumin, globulin, fibrinogen) Leucocytes esp. phagocytes can pass through capillary wall & be present in interstitial fluid Interstiti al Fluid FACT 85% of interstitial fluid flows back into venous end of the capillary system where the hydrostatic pressure low Remaining 15% enters lymphatic capillaries and known as LYMPH Lymphatic capillaries unite to form lymphatic vessel Excess interstitial fluid unable to return to blood circulatory system will accumulate & cause tissue swelling known as OEDEMA
  4. 4. Structure of the Lymphatic System Lymphatic system is a one-way system consisting of a network of lymph capillaries, lymphatic vessels & lymph nodes
  5. 5. How the lymphatic system complements the circulatory system
  6. 6. Relationship between the Lymphatic System & Circulatory System Heart Blood capillaries Left subclavian vein Right subclavian vein Interstitial fluid Thoracic duct Right lymphatic duct Lymph capillary Lymph vessels
  7. 7. Role of the Lymphatic System in Transport Collects the interstitial fluid and returns it to the circulatory system Fats & fat-soluble vitamins are absorb through lacteals & transported to the blood circulatory system The lymph nodes filter out bacteria & other foreign particles. Phagocytes present in the nodes engulf & destroy foreign particles. Lymphocytes produce antibodies which aid in the destruction of pathogens & the neutralisation of toxins
  8. 8. The lymphatic system returns excess interstitial fluid to the blood, absorbs fats and fat-soluble vitamins, and provides defense against disease. Lymph is the fluid in the lymphatic vessels. It is picked up from the interstitial fluid and returned to the blood plasma. Lymphatic vessels carry fluid away from the tissues. The right lymphatic duct drains lymph from the upper right quadrant of the body and the thoracic duct drains all the rest. Pressure gradients that move fluid through the lymphatic vessels come from the skeletal muscle action, respiratory movements, and contraction of smooth muscle in vessel walls. Tonsils are clusters of lymphatic tissue associated with openings into the pharynx and provide protection against pathogens that may enter through the nose and mouth. The spleen is a lymph organ that filters blood and also acts as a reservoir for blood. The thymus is large in the infant and atrophies after puberty.

×