Selling User Experience
• 20 years in various product development roles at Nokia,6 years in
agile & lean transformation / organizational development!
– Product development for various products and platforms!
– Coached and trained hundreds of practitioners
in agile methods deployment!
• Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) Program Consultant at Nitor Delta!
• PhD — “Agile Methods in Large-Scale Software Development
Organizations – Applicability and Model for Adoption” (2013)!
• Keynote speaker at XP2014 / Rome!
• Author or editor of agile and lean textbooks: !
– 376 vuotta ketteriä kokemuksia / Sytyke (2013)!
– LESS!, Essays on Business Transformation (2012)!
– Ohjelmistoliiketoiminta (2003)!
My claims in this presentation"
1. Here is a built-in-tension
between UX design and
2. Agile forgot UX from the
3. Agile (re)discovered UX
(Apple proved you can sell
designed products with
4. There are (proven) ways to
5. Collective embarrassment is
the best tool available!
This is how we sell agile
VersionOne study 2008
Enhanced ability to manage
Improved project visibility
Improved alignment of IT
and business goals
Reduced project risk
Agile delivers projects on time and budget
The value of incremental delivery"
ROI of "
ROI of "
• Faster feedback enables faster
learning – enabling right focus /
right change of focus!
• Smaller increments lessens
• Earlier brake-even point / ROI!
• Partial deliveries equal to
smaller risks – fail safely;
With Minimum Marketable Release
approach we can gain faster time-to-market
Single release approach means
slower time-to-market and time-to-
Project on time and budget can be an epic failure!"
Measuring the customer value"
Lean metrics for services"
• Utilization rate!
• How fast the service is!
• How accurate the service is!
• How many errors does take
place when delivering the
• Would you recommend this
service to your friends? (Net
Promoter Score, NPS)!
Back to the roots of agile.
Software Development is a Co-operative Game"
Co-creation. Groups are
faster solving problems
than individuals. Let the
software evolve together,
as the sum of the whole
is more than its parts.!
An extended team – same team or different team?"
• UX design and developers
need to talk with each other –
UX designers need to see how
the designs can be
needs to get latest design &
• Co-evolution leads to best
results. More than a school
bus length and it does not
matter if you are on the same
building or not!
• UX design / development is
essentially a different kind of
discipline; needs to have its own
• Need to develop UX design
• Common look and feel!
• UX Definition of done?!
• Common style guide and
• Usability tests are not on a team
level in any bigger organization!
How IUX designers and developers are seeing each
UX Designer" Developer"
....but in reality we are all artists, and we should treat
ach other as artists!"
graphical designer" Computer scientist"
A joined kanban-wall"
• Same team or two teams sitting
next to each other!
• A joined wall where both
iterations are made visible !
• A visual management tool for
Ideas UX-design Validation Coding Delivery
What needs to be measured? NPS?"
• Compare the current version the current demo with competitor
version / demo!
• For each Feature, define the ambition level for this iteration!
• What are the basics that always needs to be there?!
• What are ways to differentiate from competitors?!
• What is the customer segment? Friendly users / focus group?!
Why it is hard to be one team
Disney’s creative process"
• “Get me something to
implement” – mentality!
• “What is the difference
between these two colors?” !
• “Can’t we just add another
The power of collective embarrassment"
Rules of the game:"
- Force to see misuse cases à
real, frank and honest
- No blame game"
- Trust that everyone wants to
do their best!
Why it is hard to be one team – the critique"
Lean startups vs. set-based design?"
Set-based design with focus groups"