2. • English Vocabulary in Use Upper Intermediate:
• 45 Sport
• 53 Health & Medicine
• English Vocabulary in Use Advanced:
• 20 Birth & Death
• 55 Health & Illness 1
56 Health & Illness 2
57 Health & Illness 3
88 Diet, Sport & Fitness
3. 1. How can people improve their life expectancy?
2. Why are the two young men interviewed not
enthusiastic about living to a ripe old age?
3. How old was the oldest woman to complete a marathon
and how long did it take her?
At a home for retired musicians, the annual concert to
celebrate Verdi's birthday is disrupted by the arrival of Jean,
an eternal diva and the former wife of one of the residents.
5. Consider the following statement and then note down 2 arguments for
and two arguments against it.
Elderly people should be cared for in nursing homes.
6. Essay titles
1) In countries such as Japan, the population is
getting older. Are the effects of an ageing
population positive or negative?
2) Is nursing home care better for elderly people
than living with noisy young children in their
3) Staying healthy through playing sports and
eating well should be an individual’s duty
towards society rather than a habit for
personal benefits. To what extent do you
agree or disagree?
7. Health myths busted
Can retirement kill you?
Why do we keep falling for fad diets
Top 15 reasons you are not losing weight
8. Growing old: a joke!
A man goes to the doctor and says, "Doc, I would like to live a long life. What should I do?“
"I think that is a wise decision," the doctor replies. "Let’s see, do you smoke?"
"Oh.. Half a pack a day."
"Starting NOW, no more smoking."
The man agrees.
The doctor then asks, "Do you drink?"
"Oh, well Doc, not much, just a bit of wine with my meals, and a beer or two every once in a while.“
"Starting now, you drink only water. No exceptions."
The man is a bit upset, but also agrees.
The doctor asks, "How do you eat?"
"Oh, well, you know, Doc, normal stuff.“
"Starting now you are going on a very strict diet. You are going to eat only raw vegetables, with no
dressing, and non-fat cottage cheese.
" The man is now really worried. "Doc, is all this really necessary?“
"Do you want to live long?"
"Well then, it’s absolutely necessary. And don’t even think of breaking the diet.“.
" The man is quite restless, but the doctor continues, "Do you have sex?"
"Yeah, once a week or so..., only with my wife!" he adds hurriedly. “As soon as you get out of here you
are going to buy twin beds. No more sex for you. None.“
The man is appalled. “Doc… Are you sure I’m going to live longer this way?”
“ I have no idea, but however long you live, I assure you is going to seem like an eternity!”
9. 1. What is the topic under discussion?
2. How many people are interviewed?
3. Are they in favour of the proposition or against it?
It is increasingly possible to improve our physical abilities
with the use of prosthetic devices and cyborg technology.
Which ability would you like to enhance, and why? Do you
welcome such technologies?
10. What can go wrong while you’re doing the following
sports? What can cause you to lose in a competition
involving these sports?
12. Questions to think about:
1) Care for the elderly.
2) Growing old in this day and age.
3) How to avoid and overcome
4) The importance of physical
activity and nutrition.
Grammar to brush up on:
1) Modal auxiliary verbs
2) Transitive and intransitive verbs
Language functions to check out:
1) Giving advice
2) Expressing opinions
Films to watch:
Books to Read:
1) Born to Run
2) My Sister’s Keeper