If green vegetables smelled as good as bacon
Vocabulary in Use (Upper Intermediate)
Vocabulary in Use (Advanced)
28 We are what we eat
29 Dinner’s on me: entertaining and eating out
58 Diet, Sport and Fitness
The Definitions Game
Rhubarb is usually considered a vegetable. In the United States, however, a New York court
decided in 1947 that since it was used in the United States as a fruit, it counted as a fruit
for the purposes of regulations and duties. A side effect was a reduction on imported
rhubarb tariffs, as tariffs were higher for vegetables than fruits.
Great British Pubs
Great Pub Food
What is this food programme
What, according to the speakers,
are pubs for?
How many pubs a week are
What are the changes mentioned
that have affected pubs?
How many pubs were there in the
How many pubs are there today?
The Food Programme 2
When was the last time you ate out?
What kind of a place did you eat in?
What was the food like?
What was the service like?
Do you prefer eating in or eating out?
What are the advantages to eating out/in?
And the disadvantages?
When things don’t always go well in the kitchen….
Dinner dilemmas solved
10 easy fixes
… or in a restaurant …
When I receive poor service
The bad waiter
1. The article says getting kids to eat vegetables causes few
parents a problem.
2. Research suggests parents can be trained to teach their kids
to like vegetables.
3. The key age to get kids to like vegetables is between 5 and
4. The study said parents should give vegetables to kids up to
5. Researchers focused on children in four European countries.
6. Researchers tried to get children to eat garlic in their study.
7. The study says kids are less willing to try new things from
the age of 2.
8. Researchers suggest encouraging kids to eat vegetables
once a month.
Listen to the news report and decide if the
following statements are true or false:
How to complain in a restaurant
Top 10 customer complaints about restaurants in 2012
Writing a Wrong - Do you get the pun?
How to write a good letter of complaint
How to write a food review
English recipes page – learn English by doing!
10 great meals in literature
Thursday 23rd February
Questions to think about:
1) The positive and negative
effects of food and diet.
2) Food and drink: social
Grammar to brush up on:
1) Collective nouns
2) English plurals
Films to watch:
2) Julie & Julia
Books to Read:
1) Tender at the Bone
2) Eat Cake
Language functions to
1) Describing processes
2) Giving instructions