2. • English Vocabulary in Use Upper Intermediate:
• 46 The Arts
• 85 Idioms connected with praise and criticism
• English Vocabulary in Use Advanced:
• 21 Free time: relaxation and leisure
• 25 The performance arts: reviews and critiques
26 The plastic arts
42 Festivals in their cultural context
3. A. The British Museum should return the things countries
want back. Discuss.
In task 2 (dialogue) you must participate in a conversation lasting
about 5 minutes with your classmate, based on the topic proposed
on the cue card.
You may make notes (words, ideas, concepts) to use as a guide
during your intervention, but you will not be able to write complete
sentences as the activitiy to be assessed is oral and not written or
B. EXAM TRAINING: DIALOGUE
Two monologues do not make a
dialogue. (Jeff Daly)
4. What type of art do you
like? What type of art
don’t you like? Who are
some of your favourite
artists? Why do you like
them? What are some of
your favourite art
galleries? Do you ever paint
or draw? What do you paint
or draw? Are there any
famous artists from your
country? Who are they?
What are they famous for?
What are some of the
most unusual pieces of art
you’ve ever seen? Try to
think of at least two.
Listen to the speakers
once. Which work of art is
the most unusual? Why?
6. Have you ever seen or heard of a work of performance art?
What did it involve?
Which work of art involved...
1. ...destroying a copy of a book.
2. ...sitting in a museum for more
than 700 hours.
3. ...staying in a gallery with a wild
4. ...being buried in the ground for
5. ...lying on a busy road at night.
7. You are going to hear two people talking about
the theatre. What exactly do they talk about?
Now listen again and complete the text on
Now compare your answers.
8. Describe the last …
… concert you went to.
… play you went to.
… film you went to.
… book you read!
11. Questions to think about:
1) The role of culture in our
2) The significance of Christmas.
3) How family traditions
Grammar to brush up on:
1) So and Neither
2) Nouns and prepositions I and
Language functions to check out:
2) Agreeing and disagreeing
Films to watch:
1) The Man Who
2) Jingle All the Way
Books to Read:
1) A Christmas Carol
2) Letters from