• Nagavara Ramarao Narayana Murthy born 20 August 1946, better known as N. R. Narayana Murthy, is an Indian industrialist and software engineer. He is the founder and Chairman Emeritus of Infosys.
• Born into a Kannada Madhwa Brahmin family in Mysore, Karnataka on August 20, 1946. Murthy graduated with a degree in electrical engineering from the National Institute of Engineering, University of Mysore in 1967 after attending government school. He received his masters degree from IIT Kanpur in 1969
CAREER• His first position was at IIM Ahmedabad as chief systems programmer where he worked on a time-sharing system and designed and implemented a BASIC interpreter for ECIL (Electronics Corporation of India Limited)
• After IIM Ahmedabad, he joined Patni Computer Systems in Pune. Murthy met his wife Sudha Murthy in Pune who at the time was an engineer working at Tata Engineering and Locomotive Co. Ltd.• Telco, now known as Tata Motors.
• Infosys started its operations in a 10x10 room with a capital investment of just Rs 10,000, which was borrowed from Murthys wife, Sudha Murthy. Now, its revenues have grown to Rs 27,000 crore.• At its inception, he invited six other engineers to join the company.• Murthy served as the founder CEO of Infosys for 21 years, and was succeeded by co-founder Nandan Nilekani in March 2002.
• Then he was the Executive Chairperson of the board from 2002 to 2006.• He retired from his executive position at Infosys on August 20, 2006, after which he has been the non-executive chairman of the board and chief mentor of the company.
• Now, Murthy handed over his role to KV Kamath, who has been an independent director on the Infosys board since May, 2009.
• SD Sibulal will take over as the new CEO and MD, S Gopalakrishnan will be Executive Co- Chairman of Infosys. Kris Gopalakrishnan, the current CEO of Infosys, who is also a co- founder, has been elevated as the Executive Co-Chairman.
• Murthys exit as the chairman will mark the end of a formal association with the company, but he will continue to guide the organization in the capacity of Chairman Emeritus.
• "I would be called Chairman Emeritus. I will have a room which I can use if I want... but as propriety demands, I will have no say in any matter, I will not be allowed to attend any board meetings or any meetings. I can meet anybody personally,"
• Murthys vision and business sense made the company go from strength to strength. In 1993, Infosys got listed in the Indian markets and later became the first Indian company to be listed on the New York-based NASDAQ in 1999.
• "If any one person can be called the father of Indias booming IT sector, its N R Narayana Murthy, who with six other software engineers founded Infosys Technologies in 1981”, Times Magazine had said.
• Murthy is having a venture capital initiative, Catamaran Investment Private Ltd, to focus his energies on mentoring and funding the next generation of Indian entrepreneurs.
• Murthy comes from a humble background and even after becoming a billionaire, he continues to lead a simple life.• Murthys outstanding leadership qualities have been universally recognized and he serves on the boards of some of the worlds biggest companies and organizations.
• Murthy had the opportunity to lead a public life, but declined an offer from former Prime Minister A B Vajpayee to join the government. He had then felt Infosys needed him more.
• He was awarded the Padma Vibhushan, the countrys second-highest civilian award after the Bharat Ratna, in 2008.
BOARD MEMBERSHIPS• Murthy serves as an independent director on the boards of HSBC, DBS Bank and Unilever. He also serves on the boards of the Ford Foundation, UN Foundation, Indo-British Partnership, and NDTV. He is the chairman of the Governing board of Public Health Foundation of India.
• He is a member of the Advisory Boards and Councils of the Stanford Graduate School of Business, the Corporate Governance initiative at the Harvard Business School, the Indian School of Business, Cornell University committee on academic affairs, the committee on alumni affairs and development at Yale University, the William F. Achtmeyer Center for Global Leadership at the Tuck School of Business, and the University of Tokyo’s Presidents Council.
• He is a member of the Board of Directors of INSEAD, the Board of Overseers of the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, Singapore Management University, Asian Institute of Management (AIM), the Board of Members of School of Management at Asian Institute of Technology (AIT), Asia Business Council and Business Advisory Council of Great Lakes Institute of Management and International Institute of Information Technology - Bangalore.
PERSONAL LIFE• His wife, Sudha Murthy, is an Indian social worker and accomplished author. She is known for her philanthropic work through the Infosys Foundation. Her sister, Jayashree Despande is wife of enterpreneur and founder of US-based Sycamore Networks, Gururaj Despande.
• They have two children - Rohan and Akshata. Rohan is married to Venu Srinivasans (of TVS motors) daughter Lakshmi Venu. Akshata Murthy is married to Rishi Sunak.