“In pursuit of global competitiveness”Government College Of Engineering, Aurangabad.GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION SYSTEM(GIS) Created BY:- NIKHIL PAKWANNE
A geographic information system (GIS) integrateshardware, software, and data for capturing,managing, geographically analyzing, and displaying allforms of referenced information. Geographic information systems (GIS) is alsoknown as Geospatial information systems arecomputer software and hardware systems that enableusers to capture, store, analyse and managespatialially referenced data.
GIS allows us to view, understand, question, interpret, and visualize data in many ways that reveal relationships, patterns, and trends in the form of maps, globes, reports, and charts. GIS technology can be integrated into any enterprise information system framework.
• GIS is a System of computer software, hardware and data, and personnel to help manipulate, analyze and present information that is tied to a spatial location – • spatial location – usually a geographic location • information – visualization of analysis of data • system – linking software, hardware, data • personnel – a thinking explorer who is key to the power of GIS
What is Not GIS ? ? What is Not GIS• GPS – Global Positioning System• A static map – paper or digital –Maps are often a “product” of a GIS –A way to visualize the analysis• A software package
Spatial Data Spatial Data• Estimates are that 80% of all data has a spatial component. –Data from most sciences can be analyzed “spatially”.
What is GIS ? • A method to visualize, manipulate, analyze, and display spatial data. • “Smart Maps” linking a database to the map.
Some Ways GIS is Used• Emergency Services – Fire & Police .• Environmental – Monitoring & Modeling.• Business – Site Location, Delivery Systems.• Industry – Transportation, Communication, Mining, Pipelines, Healthcare.• Government – Local, State, Federal, Military.• Education – Research, Teaching Tool, Administration. Wherever Spatial Data Analysis is Needed
• MapWindow GIS is an Open Source GIS (mapping)application and set of programmable mappingcomponents. Because it is distributed as an opensource application under the Mozilla Public Licensedistribution license, MapWindow GIS can bereprogrammed to perform different or morespecialized tasks.
• There are also plug-ins available to expand compatibility and functionality. MapWindow GIS is built upon Microsoft.NETtechnology but is not a multi-platform application and hence does not run on non-Microsoft operating systems including UNIX.
• Quantum GIS is an open source GIS (mapping)application which is similar to commercial mappingpackages. Because it is distributed as an opensourceapplication under the GNU distributionlicense, Quantum GIS can be reprogrammed toperform different or more specialized tasks. There arealso plug-ins available to expand compatibility andfunctionality.
• It is a multi-platform application and runs on different operating systems including Mac OS X, Linux, UNIX, and Windows XP.• Quantum GIS has a small file size compared to commercial GISs and requires less RAM and processing power; hence it can be used on older hardware or running simultaneously with other applications where CPU power may be limited.
• uDig is an open source GIS software programproduced by a community led by Canadian-based company Refractions Research. It is basedaround the Eclipse platform and features fulllayered Open Source GIS. It is written in Java andreleased under GNU Lesser General PublicLicense.
• uDig has a walkthrough in Flash and also quick start directions for those who wish to complete a full version build to write plug-ins or contribute to the main build.
• gvSIG is a multilingual, open source geographic information system (GIS) that can handle both vector and raster data. It features basic editing tools for the creation and maintenance of vector or raster spatial data on a variety of file formats, including remote data sources.
• gvSIG is being actively developed in Java by IVER Tecnologías under the GNU General Public License (GPL) . Its name is a Spanish abbreviation that stands for Generalitat Valenciana. Sistema de Información Geogràfica.
• Manifold System is a geographic information system (GIS) software package developed by manifold.net that runs on Microsoft Windows. The GIS software competes with ESRI and MapInfo GIS products.
• Manifold 7.00 handles both vector and raster data, includes spatial SQL, a built-in Internet Map Server (IMS), and other general GIS features. Manifold System has a vibrant user community with a mailing list and online forums.