Keep It Simple Stupid
(KISS) with Google
Nicole Newman of Newman Networks, 9/22/2014
● Nicole Newman Bio
● Next Steps
Nicole Newman, Biography
● Technology Writer for
● MBA from the University of
Maryland, May 2000
● 8 years at Newman Networks
The KISS principle states that most systems work best if they are kept
simple rather than made complicated; therefore simplicity should be
a key goal in design and unnecessary complexity should be avoided.
Google cloud computing platforms have mastered of this concept.
This means that your business, like McDonald's, can be run by
teenagers lowering the cost of employee salaries and increasing
We will review some key components of your business including
forms, documents, spreadsheets, presentations that can utilize the
KISS Concept with Google Applications.
● Google Forms can be connected to spreadsheets in Google Sheets.
If a spreadsheet is linked to the form, responses will
automatically be sent to the spreadsheet. Otherwise, users can
view them on the “Summary of Responses” page accessible from
the Responses menu.
● You can make a form from your Drive,which was formally called
Docs, or from any existing spreadsheet.
● You can plan events, make a survey or poll, give students a quiz,
or collect other information in an easy, streamlined way with
Google Forms part 2
● Demo from Google -
● Demo from Wiki - http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Form-
● News - http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/02/google-forms-now-less-
● Uses - subscription to email lists via the web, surveys,
applications (intake, room reservations, etc.)
Google offers Google Docs as a free alternative to Microsoft Word. The zero-dollar
price tag for Docs gives it a leg up on Word, and Docs is compatible
with Word documents. Docs runs completely from the Internet, which causes
some limitations to file availability but also provides a way to save a constant
stream of revisions so you never lose your work.
● Disadvantage - lacks some features, such as support for multiple
● Advantage - Built for collaboration sharable with Administrative rights
● Advantage - No Cost
● Advantage - Suite Integration with other Google Products
● Demo - https://www.google.com/campaigns/gonegoogle/demos.html
Thank you for your support WORC-PA!
Thursday, Sept 25th, 2014 7pm - Leveraging
Cloud Computing - How and Why
Monday, Sept 29th, 2014 7pm - Cost effective
Technology Solutions for Marketing
Learn more about
● Google Applications
o Online - www.suremessenger.net
o FB - https://www.facebook.com/suremessenger
● Newman Networks
o Upcoming events at
o Online - www.newman-network.com
o By Phone 215-207-0996 or 215-995-1041
o By Email email@example.com
● Due to being a free web app, Google Presentations isn't as full featured
as desktop apps like Microsoft PowerPoint and Keynote. However, it
makes up for a lack of aesthetic features by boasting very strong
● The learning curve for Google Presentations also much lower than that of
a full-featured desktop app due to the fact that it hosts the most
essential of features and gets rid of most of the fluff.
● Wiki Demo - http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Presentation-Using-
● Documentation -
Spreadsheet Getting Started Documentation:
For its 3.5 million daily users Google Voice is a big deal. Many have literally
become associated with their 10-digit Google Voice numbers and addicted to
the service’s once cutting-edge features.
● Google Voice gives you one number for all your phones
● Google Voice isn't a phone service, but it lets you manage all of your
● Google Voice will let you define which phones ring
Google Voice Demo (2 minutes long)