The Aurum Institute Vision
Who we are
transforms health in
We focus on
What we do implementing
HIV and TB
In partnership with relevant stakeholders,
we make health services more accessible to
marginalised workers in a way that promotes
behaviour change and
involves the communities of these workers,
focusing on TB, HIV and STI screening.
• The Centre was launched in August 2008
• Based at Bree street Taxi rank.
• Partnership with Metro Trading Company.
(City of Johannesburg).
Emthonjeni Centre Services
• HIV information ,education and awareness.
• Condoms distribution.
• Counseling and Testing.
• Symptomatic TB screening.
• ARV treatment and care through GP program and
• Blood pressure, glucose testing ,weight, height and general
• Attend to emergencies within the Metro Mall.
VCT data cont......
VCT per agegroup and gender
<18 18-29 30-39 40-49 50-59 >=60
VCT data cont…
VCT by gender and marital status
Single Married Other
EMTHONJENI SME PROJECT
• Consist of 3 mobile vans; Snap shot team,
medical team, behavioural team and follow-
• 3358 tested (Selby industrial area).
• 18 – 29 age group (48%)
• 53% men (NSP)
• 559 tested positive
Health Services specifically for
Taxi operators and Traders.
TB case finding, vision, physical
Complete Prof Driver’s Permit.
Treatment site for HIV, TB, STI
Develop at other sites
• 11 Taxi Associations
• Metro Mall Trader Association
• Metro Trading Company
• PEPFAR and CDC
• Emthonjeni Staff