You can listen to the audio of the whole talk and Q and A following the talk here: https://archive.org/details/Veganarchism
In the recording mentioned above, slide 9 was skipped due to time constraints but we discussed this slide on episode 134 of Progressive Podcast Australia, which also featured the entire talk: http://progressivepodcastaustralia.com/2016/05/29/134/
This talk draws on existing research, as well as Nick's research and experiences as a vegan activist and anarchist, to explore the links between veganism and anarchism.
I’M NOT THE FIRST, WON’T BE THE LAST
• ACTIVISM, RESEARCH, TEACHING.
• Very broad – my interpretation.
• Anti-capitalist, anti-authoritarian.
• ‘Anarchism holds the state to be undesirable, unnecessary, or harmful.’
• ‘Anarchism is a political philosophy that advocates stateless societies often defined as self-
governed voluntary institutions, but that several authors have defined as more specific
institutions based on non-hierarchical free associations. ’
• Rejection of hierarchy.
VEGANISM AND CONSUMERISM
• Society can be shaped by the consumer’s
economic vote – political act.
• Access eg socioeconomic status.
• Functions within and supports capitalism.
If I hear the "consumers
have all the power, vote
with your dollar"
line again, I'll scream!
STRUCTURE, AGENCY AND VEGANISM
• Individuals create the demand
for animal products.
• Individuals becoming vegan =
reduce the demand.
• Corporations create the
demand for animal products.
• Capitalism produces
inequalities = socio-economic
barriers to veganism.
Followed on Twitter
ANIMAL PHILOSOPHIES AND ANARCHISM
Statist, Accepts Hierarchies Anarchist, Rejects Hierarchies
Animal welfare Animal rights Eco-feminism,
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN ADVOCACY MORE
• Broader definition of veganism – rejecting human supremacy.
• Rejection of all hierarchy – intersectionality.
• Situate animal (and human) oppression within capitalism.
• Question the effectiveness of state solutions eg animal rights (pattrice jones).
HOW TO MAKE ANARCHIST ADVOCACY
• More vegans in anarchist spaces/advocacy.
• Situating veganism within an anti-oppression, anti-hierarchical framework.
• Genuine intersectionality.