A short overview of why ThisData uses CloudFlare, and what web app developers can get if they too use CloudFlare.
This was originally presented at Auckland Ruby Nights on Dec 16 2015: http://www.meetup.com/aucklandruby/events/227131243/
8. How do I set it up?
● Sign up, and use them as your nameserver
9. What if I use SSL?
● Set it up, but don’t click the orange clouds yet.
● Add your SSL certificate details
● Turn on the orange clouds
10. What gets blocked?
● Adjustable security levels to challenge visitors
● White/black list by IP, Country
● DDoS Protection
○ Turn on “I’m under attack!” mode to analyze ALL
visitors & stop the baddies
11. What gets cached?
● All static assets (images, JS, CSS)
● Not HTML, by default.
● You can turn it on with white- or black-list rules
● Or via Cache-Control headers
● Can’t cache requests returning cookies
● Protection from baddies!
● Response time decreased from 2.5s to 1.5s
● Content size reduced by 300kb
● Everything feels faster!
● GeoIP stopped working, as every request looks
like it’s from CloudFlare
● CloudFlare blocked a partner who sends us