Contacts Database Optimization Strategy
Professor: Nick Salvatoriello, @HubSpotAcademy
HubSpot User Group Discussion:
FIRST, 3 VOLUNTEERS TO SHARE:
• What’s your name, title, organization?
• How long have you been using HubSpot
• Who do you market to? Ideal contact?
• What’s your favorite Contacts App
• What’s your favorite list you have?
Identify your qualiﬁcation criteria for each “bucket list” your contacts
ﬂow into. Build custom contact properties that match unique criteria.
Utilize buyer personas, lifecycle stages and lead scoring to determine
each contact’s engagement strategy
Make sure your contact database is always up to date (integrate/
import, analyze, optimize).
BEST PRACTICES FOR MANAGING CONTACTS
Make sure your HubSpot knows everybody you know, and you have
your sources of new contacts are controlled and managed well.
1 Import a spreadsheet
2 Add them manually
3 Build a HubSpot landing page
4 Put a HubSpot form on an external page
5 Use the Contacts API
HOW DO WE GET CONTACTS INTO HUBSPOT?
FLICKR USER US NAVY
For your leads, understand the
qualiﬁcation and sales process to identify
the “green lights” and “red ﬂags” when
FIRST, LOOK AT WHAT
PROPERTIES YOU HAVE
AVAILABLE TO YOU
LISTS OF CONTACTS WHO HAD A SPECIFIC
NUMBER OF CONVERSIONS
WHAT LISTS ARE YOU
BUILDING WHICH ARE
THE MOST EFFECTIVE?
1 What are the unique qualities or properties your sales team
listens for in the qualiﬁcation process?
2 What do you already know about the data that goes into your
typical buyers’ purchasing decisions?
3 What information would help you market to your prospects
CREATE CUSTOM CONTACT PROPERTIES
You can add up to 1,000 custom properties that
are unique to your business.
• Why people want to use your product or service?
• What will it help them accomplish?
• Do you have multiple oﬀerings or tiers? How would you know which is
right for them?
• Do they currently use other products or services in your industry or
• What challenges might they face in implementing or using your product
What properties would we create to identify:
HOW MANY CUSTOM
CONTACT PROPERTIES HAVE
YOU CREATED SO FAR?
WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME
YOU CREATED ONE?
• Import/maintain business leads, customers and employees.
• Include all business contacts.
• Track contacts as they close as customers.
• Remove contacts that are no longer engaged.
• Merge duplicate contacts.
• Automate updates with Workﬂows App
• Set up and maintain integrations with other software.
HOW DO WE KEEP HUBSPOT CONTACTS
UP TO DATE?
NAMES SHOULD BE MEANINGFUL AND DESCRIPTIVE
We should be able to tell who is on the list based on the title
What could we put in here to describe our goal/
reason for this list?
WHAT ARE SOME
REASONS/GOALS BEHIND THE
LISTS YOU HAVE BUILT?
4. Closed-loop data
1. Contact info and
2. Increase Sales ROI
3. Feedback on how
leads translate into
HOW ARE YOU MANAGING/
…ON A DAILY, WEEKLY,
• User Guides: Contacts, Lists (links in app)
• HubSpot Certiﬁcation Training: Contacts, Lists
• Inbound Certiﬁcation Training: Smarketing, Inbound Sales
• HubSpot Projects: Contact Re-Engagement, Life-Cycle
Stages, Lead Scoring, Subscriber Re-Engagement
• Workshop with your team on optimizing contacts and lists
GETTING STARTED WITH OPTIMIZATION
1 A list of all your customers.
2 Every person in your portal that has opened more than 3
3 All of your leads who have also ﬁlled out more than 2 forms.
4 A list of all your customers who became customers between
April and June of 2015
5 All of your leads that found your website through Social Media
TEAM WORKSHOP IDEA:
‘FIRST TEAM TO BUILD THESE SMART LISTS WINS’