A presentation on pioneering discussion on #SmartCity movement for the city of Dar-es-salaam. Smart City Dar-es-salaam discussion took place at Buni Hub on July 30, 2016. Conducted by Ng'winula Kingamkono
Big data is a set of data too large for traditional software &
method to capture, process and analyse
Velocity, Volume, Veracity & Variety
Purpose of Big Data
● Improve operating structure
● Making predictive analytics
● Making fast and better decisions
● Increasing value to organizations
Used by governments, organizations, sports, companies etc
Tools Used in Big Data
● Capturing (sensors)
● Processing (Analysis)
HPCC, MapReduce, Hadoop
Usage of Big Data in real life
● Bharatiya Janata Party 2014 win in India
● Moneyball method in baseball, use of big data to scout and analyse
● Obama’s win in 2012 is attributed partly to use of big data
● Transport system in London
● Expensive to implement?
● More data instead of sample space?
● Quality of data?
● Presence of Telcos with their services
● Presence of UDART
● Presence of eGov
● Increasing exponential growth in numbers of mobile device users and
Population: Over 4 million people. Less than 70% live in unplanned settlement, unstable electricity
Break into groups of 6 people (6 groups)
Write down the biggest pains you face as being part of the city
Who are the key players to approach?
What do we miss in making Dar a smart city?
What kind of questions do we need to ask to build empathy?
#SmartCityDar is a
Let’s keep it going.