State of Facebook Video, Spring 2016
• Questions remain for publishers around how best to
balance video experience with cultivating a loyal audience.
• Video has become the deﬁning feature of most users’ news
• Facebook Native video is now a vital feature for many
outlets, allowing them to deliver stories to the audience on
their terms: mobile, visual, and fast.
• With development of new social platforms, consumers’
expectations for video have shifted.
“In 2015 Boston.com generated well over 12 million
views, which is orders of magnitude more than what
we were able to deliver through our site.”
Matt Karolian, The Boston Globe
Publishers are posting more video every
Number of Facebook videos per month
June 2015: 35
February 2016: 313
June 2015: 68
February 2016: 302
June 2015: 29
February 2016: 139
The proportion of native video posts
% of Native Video Posted to the Hufﬁngton Post Facebook Page
June 2015 February 2016
Other PostsNative Videos
There has been huge growth in
engagement with native video on Fb
CNN The Hufﬁngton Post Upworthy
Total Engagements on Facebook Videos per Month
October 2015June 2015 February 2016
Highest average share rates, above even Instant
Articles for most publishers
Average share rate per post type, February 2016
Five key considerations
• Pre-made videos are short.
• Mobile ﬁrst: square or vertical.
• Being able to watch without sound is now standard
• Differences emerging between successful native and
• Videos have the highest average share rate of any
Differences between Live and ‘Native’
• Length: Some pages have seen success with very long live
video, while native clips on Facebook remain short.
• Talking heads: Less exciting in native clips, more room for this
format with Live video.
• Followers notiﬁed once video goes live (although Facebook
have given the option to dial this down lately). People spend
more than 3x more time watching a Facebook Live video on
average compared to a video that’s no longer live.
Outside revenue, problems remain for publishers…
• Getting consistent engagement across new videos
is difﬁcult. (New Facebook analytics may help.)
• Understanding what’s worth turning into a video can be difﬁcult.
• Unpredictable nature of the algorithm. Scant information
around what formats are favoured, and for how long.
The most viral videos account for a much higher
bulk of engagements than other formats
Top 5 video shares as % of total, February 2016
Total Videos: 197
Total Shares: 279,159
Top 5: 151,530 (54%)
Top5: 203,690 (76%)
Top 5: 966,112 (65%)
What’s getting engagement?
1) Explainer Videos: Business Insider
2) Live News Video: CBC News, BBC News
3) Food: BuzzFeed Food, Tasty, Tastemade
Get in touch!