Learn about how to fix common air conditioner problems.Many causes of improper air conditioner operations can be found by visual inspection.If you need a professional air conditioning service you must hire a certified expert.
• Air conditioners are like any machine that requires regular
• They consist of several components that can wear out and
call for special attention. Some of the components are the
condensers (located outside), evaporator coil (installed in
the plenum or in the main junction over the furnace),
accumulator, compressor, receiver drier, thermostat,
orifice tube, refrigerant and the sensors.
• All air conditioners are supposed
to be inspected regularly
especially in the beginning of
• The good thing with air
conditioners is that common
problems can be found by visual
inspection such as obstructed
condenser air passages, loose
compressor clutch and mounting,
disconnected wires and leaking
refrigerant among others.
• Here are the common air conditioner problems and the
basic things you can do on your own to troubleshoot them
before calling a professional.
• The condenser fails to run – You should
check the power and make sure it is
plugged in well. if it is okay, check if the
fuse is blown or if the circuit breaker is
tripped. Then restore the power and see if
it starts. You can also check if the
thermostat is set properly. Lower it by five
degree and see if it kicks on. If it doesn’t
the problem is likely to be a faulty motor or
compressor problem that will require
professional assistance. But if it is the
problem, the condenser will kick on and the
cooling cycle will begin.
• If the condenser fan won’t run;
– First check the whether the thermostat is turned on to cool and the temperature setting
is below the room temperature indicated on the thermostat.
– If it the thermostat is correctly set to cool, Make sure that the pressure of refrigerant
is equivalent to ambient temperature.
– You can check the high and low pressure cut outs.
– There must be correct line voltage at the condensing unit.
– You should correct control voltage to the thermostat.
– Turn off the power, check the fan motor and compressor terminals for a grounded,
shorted, or open winding
Air conditioner doesn’t turn on
• If your air conditioner does not start at all;
– the most common cause lie with a blown circuit breaker or fuse,
• Reset the circuit breaker and replace the fuse. If it fails again, then
stop it and call a professional
– improperly set or faulty thermostat or an internal switch being
• The thermostat must be in the “Cool” position and not set to “Off” or
• Make sure the thermostat is set below the current room temperature
for effective cooling.
Make sure all switches around the air conditioner are closed
• If there is inadequate cooling in your conditioner;
– You can reduce the thermostat by 5 degrees to have this issue solved. If it doesn’t, your
evaporator might be dirty. You can clean it then run it for few hours.
– If the problem persists. There could be chances that you have improper size of air
• Sometimes hot temperatures can affect the operation of air conditioner.
– If the temperatures have been very high let’s say over 100 degrees, you may be able to
achieve 62 degrees inside your home especially when the windows are letting in the sun’s
– It is important to seek professional assistance when the temperatures have been unusually
Air conditioner runs but doesn't cool
• Sometimes the air conditioner can run and you don't feel any cool
– It is important to check the thermostat although it might not be the
– Check whether the condenser is dirty, clean it and remove any dirt.
– Inadequate amount of refrigerant in the system can be the cause of this
problem and it can be addressed by a professional.
– Check the air compressor whether it is running by listening to it and
checking for the power light.
– Check the compressor or condenser coil whether it is blocked or damaged
– You can check whether the compressor cooling fan is working.
This can also cause the entire compressor to shut down to avoid
any damage. It can also cause the entire air conditioning to
– If you’ve checked everything and found out that everything is working properly,
you may need to cal a professional.
• If the refrigerant is low, adding a refrigerant is not a solution as it might have
been undercharged during installation or it leaks.
– A trained technician can fix the problem by charging the system with
correct amount of refrigerant. Remember that the air conditioner is more
efficient when the level of refrigerant matches with the manufacture’s
specification and its leakage can be harmful to the environment.
Electric control failure
• Corrosion of wires and terminals are the most common air
conditioner problems. They cause the system to repeatedly
turn on and off, making the compressor and fan controls to
– They should be checked by a certified professional. The turning
on and off is another problem which can be caused by a dirty
condenser unit and evaporator. Cleaning the entire system and
removing any obstructions will eliminate the problem.
• If the thermostat sensor located behind the control panel that measures the
temperature of air coming into the evaporative coil is knocked out of position,
the air conditioner could cycle constantly or behave erratically. The sensor
should be near the coil but not touching it;
– adjust its position by carefully bending the wire that holds it in place. If the
sensor is broken or your thermostat is not located in an ideal location, you
may replace the thermostat with a programmable version, but you should
not mess with the thermostat if you are not sure on what you are doing.
• The worst enemies of the air conditioners are moisture, dirt, alcohol, dye,
rubber, metal particles, incorrect refrigerant and improper servicing.
– You must first make a visual inspection, then proceed to any performance
– A leak detector it can help you in inspecting the refrigerant leakage.
– You can consult the owner’s manual when performing any repairs and
The power must be shut off before doing anything. But always contact a
certified expert for assistance to avoid any shame of causing damage to
your air condition, injury to yourself or when you are unable to fix it on
your own. You can get an air conditioning specialist form
http://www.tampaairconditioningheatrepair.com/ and stay in touch for
professional and advanced technological services.