6 fear: wasted time Fearing a time investment won’t get you far, think of it as a risk spending too little time as you watch your competitors eat up your market .
6 fear: wasted time Your value proposition in social media is an authentic presence and results vary, so we advise changing your strategy as you go. Flexibility increases your success rate.
7 fear number seven “ What if people CRITICIZE us or our product?”
7 NEWS FLASH If they're going to CRITICIZE they're already doing it.
7 fear: being criticized This is a unique opportunity to overcome objections and publicly create fans & change minds, not by controlling the message but by addressing problems head on without being defensive.
7 fear: being criticized Social media is based upon making genuine connections, so why not use this as an opportunity to be human as you address criticism?
7 fear: being criticized Being silent is the same to some as agreeing, so be proactive .
8 fear number eight “ Is social media SECURE?”
8 NEWS FLASH Social media is as SECURE as your email.
8 fear: security Social media is not secure . Neither is television, radio or the phone. Your data is secured similarly to your email so don't give out your passwords.
8 fear: security The golden rule: don’t publish any comment, picture or article online that you wouldn’t show the world on television, over the radio or in a newspaper.
9 fear number nine “ What if I don't TRUST MY STAFF to handle our social media?”
9 NEWS FLASH Then you should FIRE your entire staff.
9 fear: staff ability If you trust your staff to sell your service in person or over the phone, social media is no different- it’s just a different communication tool. We call this accountability .
9 fear: staff ability Properly train your staff, keep everyone educated and as mentioned before, you will need to remain flexible .
10 fear number ten “ What if I don't have ENOUGH STAFF to handle our social media?”
10 NEWS FLASH Every business starts WITH ONE PERSON and this is no different.
10 fear: commitment Then just start small . As a business owner, sign up for Twitter and be yourself for a while.
10 fear: commitment You don’t have to constantly sell, you can simply make people want to contact you or your company by giving them an informal peek behind the scenes.
10 fear: commitment As you find time to engage and it becomes easier, grow your efforts.
11 fear number eleven “ We don't have the BUDGET for social media.”
11 NEWS FLASH Yes you do. It's called A MARKETING budget.
11 fear: cost Social media is 68% of marketers’ priority in 2009 and being in the remaining 32% poses a risk of being beaten to connect with the consumer.
11 fear: cost If you don’t have dollars to invest, at least invest the time to make social media a priority .
12 fear number twelve “ I have no idea where TO START.”
12 NEWS FLASH When Edison invented THE LIGHTBULB, neither did he.
12 fear: where to start An education is the first place. If you're lost , you should consider hiring a new media consultant even if just to establish where to begin.
12 fear: where to start Depending on company size, it may be starting a blog. Others may need a presence on Facebook or Twitter while others have consumers still focused on forums.
12 fear: where to start Exploring social networks and listening is the ultimate starting point- never dive in head-first without knowing how deep the pool is.
Wow, you made it to slide 70! You MUST have needed some hand holding to overcome your fears! 12 social media fears & overcoming them now
Guess what ? We're always here to help! We consult, speak & write about social media every day ! 12 social media fears & overcoming them now
WE WANT TO TALK TO YOU! blog : nmlab.com/blog email : austinlabs(at)gmail.com twitter : @newmedialab 12 social media fears we like talking. a lot.