How to Build a Paid Search Campaign to Promote Events in 15 Days
How to Build a Paid Search Campaign to
Promote the Miss USA Pageant in 15 Days!
About NetElixir University
• NetElixir University was launched in 2012 with a vision of “democratizing
the digital marketing industry through exceptional knowledge and expertise
• Through monthly webinars and an annual seminar, we hope to provide
the tools & knowledge to help people become better search marketers.
Join our LinkedIn group: NetElixir University
Questions? Tweet with #NetElixirU and we’ll answer them for you!
About Udayan Bose
• Founder & CEO, NetElixir,Inc.
• Founded PartyBingo.com (PartyGaming, Plc).
• Guest Lecturer:
• Johnson School of Management, Cornell University.
• City University of New York, Baruch.
• Indian School of Business.
About Grace Yco, Digital Marketing Manager, ViX
• Handles mainly social media, blogger outreach, affiliate
and digital marketing campaigns/collaborations
• Switched industries from Biotech to bikinis.
• Digital Playground: Blogger since 2001, eBay since
2003, Facebook since 2004, eLuxury before NOWNESS
• Current Channel of Choice: Twitter @graceXVXIVV
ViX + Miss USA Partnership
• Approached by Miss Universe Organization
(owns Miss Universe, Miss USA and Miss
• Designation: Official Swimwear Sponsor of
Miss USA 2013
• Included telecast integration, product
placement, website integration, sponsored
event, social media, networking opportunities
• Email database of 450,000+ strong
ViX + Miss USA Partnership
• Curated section of Miss USA ViX Picks
• Social Media Content: behind-the-scenes
coverage of bikini fittings, sponsored pool party at
The Flamingo, rehearsals, telecast and after party
• Networked with other sponsors such as OPI for co-
• Connected with contestants from both Miss USA
and Miss Teen USA for partnering for charity and
other potential projects
• Opportunity for Miss USA 2013 Erin Brady to make
personal appearance at ViX event
Win A Vegas Trip Giveaway
• Goal: Promote the pageant, drive sales
• Giveaway rules:
− Shop the Miss USA section
− Place order during 5/28 – 6/5
− 4 tiers of prizes
• -Miss ViX USA Grand Prize Winner – ViX look, trip
to Vegas for live telecast, lodging and airfare
• 1st Runner Up – ViX bikini and cover-up
• 2nd Runner Up – ViX bikini
• 3rd Runner Up – ViX flip flops and hat
• Goal: new customer acquisition
• Exclusive code for Miss USA fans:
30% off of Miss USA section on ViX
• More email marketing
• Holiday “Giving Back” campaigns
• Sponsored blog posts
• Consistent engagement on social
15 Day Paid Search Advertising Plan For ViX:
Increasing Impression Share & Average
Orders/Day by 20%
Paid Search Goals
1. Increase impression share for keywords surrounding ViX & Miss USA
2. Increase the number of visitors to the ViX Picks landing page for the
swimwear featured in the pageant
1. Effectively manage the budget to accommodate for extra traffic and
added paid search strategies
Paid Search Advertising for Events: Challenges
• Search queries (an expression on interest and intent) are limited within
a short time period (less than a week in this case).
• Post event interest is often higher than pre-event interest.
We applied GOST model (Goals – Strategy-Tactics)
Share by 20%
• LXR Retail‟s Twitter Tool
• Content Marketing
• Day-wise spend management for
• Know what metrics to track and apply
the “right” set of KPIs.
Our 15 Day Paid Search Calendar
Tactic 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Use Twitter Tool to
source real time PPC
Content Marketing to
Remarketing to get
more out of the
to optimize visibility
Track & Analyze
June 7, 2013 June 21, 2013
Strategy #1: Planned Account Expansion
• We used various tactics to find keywords
to add to the account, which would
increase our visibility on searches and
give ViX a greater portion of the
impressions from users searching these
• Custom ad copies were written to make
the message relevant for the customer.
Tactic #1 – Used LXRBuzz Tool to track tweets around Miss USA
2013 and use them as source for PPC keywords
LXRBuzz is NetElixir‟s social keyword sourcing tool
that aggregates relevant brand conversations
happening real-time on „Twitter‟ and then automatically
splits the tweets into keywords around which Google
Adwords campaigns can be built in real time.
The entire process is completed in just 3 clicks and
takes less than 60 seconds for the marketer.
Tactic # 2 – Content Marketing
Targeting websites similar to ViX in the 15 day
period garnered an extra 1,000,000
impressions during our Miss USA 2013
Tactic # 3 - Remarketing
• Remarketing allows marketers to reach people
who have previously visited their website &
show them relevant ads while searching on
• We targeted consumers who had already visited
the ViX website through a Google ad.
• Remarketing during the 15 day Miss USA
campaign generated an extra 6.5 million
impressions to the ViX website.
Strategy #2 – Budget Management
• We increased the daily budget for the specific
Miss USA campaigns from 1 week prior to the
event and 1 week after, due to the relevancy
of the event at those times.
• The spend was broken down into day-wise
spend and impression/click goals.
• Extensive day-parting was done to maximize
reach within the specified budget.
Strategy #3 – Track & Analyze
• We exceeded our goal of increasing impression share for our targeted
terms by 20% (impression share growth achieved: 24%+)
• We saw a total increase in click-throughs to the ViX Picks landing page:
• Total visits Increased by 65%
• New visits Increased by 27%
• Bounce rate Decreased by 7%
• The budget was carefully monitored and managed to ensure that we
captured a greater impression share at the times when searches for the
pageant would be the highest.
• Using the GOST model, we came up with three specific strategies:
1. Planned Account expansion
2. Budget management
3. Tracking & analysis
• Using our LXR Retail Twitter Tool, we were able to source keywords
using real-time tweets.
• We kept a tight check on the budget (day-parting + day-wise spend
• The key success metric that we tracked was impression share.
To request the GOST template or a sample copy of the
calendar, tweet @NetElixir or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Spread the love! Tweet about our webinar!
Miss USA may have already aired and our PPC campaign is over, but summer is
still in full swing! ViX is giving NetElixirU listeners 30% off the same bikinis worn
by the Miss USA contestants! Shop the Miss USA ViX Picks section on
www.vixpaulahermanny.com and use code MISSUSA30!
For access to free SEO and SEM tools, visit www.LXRMarketplace.com