7 Mobile Search Marketing Best Practices &
• Incorporated in 2005. Headquartered in Princeton, NJ.
• We are a digital marketing technology and service provider specializing in search
marketing and web analytics.
• Ongoing Retail Search Insights Research since August 2008 (featured in
NYTimes, Time, Forbes).
About Udayan Bose
• Founder & CEO, NetElixir,Inc.
• Founded PartyBingo.com (PartyGaming, Plc).
• Guest Lecturer:
• Johnson School of Management, Cornell University
• City University of New York, Baruch
• Indian School of Business
Table of Contents
• The rise of digital omnivores.
• 7 Practical Tips for successful mobile SEM campaigns.
• Insights into mobile shopping behavior of Gen Y.
(Independent study commissioned by NetElixir on Princeton University students
between December 5 and December 20, 2012)
• 26. Single.
• Account Executive at Agency XYZ in New York.
• Daily Commuter from Princeton, NJ to New York.
• Uses her 3 hour+ commute:
• Chatting with friends on FB (uses iPhone 4S).
• Catching up on news from the ad world (uses
• Searching for work related information. (iPad2).
• Browsing through fashion trends – Pinterest.
• Shopping online. (iPad2).
Michelle’s Mom celebrates her 50th birthday on March 23.
Michelle wants to gift her a pendant.
% time spent (search and buy)
PC iPad2 iPhone
Michelle’s multi-device search and buy process
• Access wide variety of digital content across multiple devices, daily.
• The share of non-computer traffic in US increased from 6.8% in Aug 2011
to 16% in October 2012 (source: comScore)
• Nearly half of tablet owners completed their purchase using tablet. (source:
• % share of searches from mobile devices increased from 5% (December
2011) to 17% (December 2012). (source: NetElixir Mobile Search Insights Research)
• We expect 25% of all searches to happen from mobile devices by end of
7Practical Tips for Successful Mobile SEM Campaigns
The Basis of our Recommendations
• Since 2010, NetElixir team has successfully managed and optimized
100+ mobile SEM programs for retailers.
• Ongoing research conducted by NetElixir Mobile Search Insights Lab
set up in November 2010.
First, some research insights from our Mobile Search Marketing Lab..
Mobile SEM Campaigns: Higher Click-through-Rate
• Mobile searches have
higher immediacy value.
• Not more than 3
sponsored listings are
• Propensity to click goes
up because of mention of
Mobile SEM Campaigns: Lower Conversion Rate
• % of accidental & unintentional
clicks is high.
• Mobile search may lead to an
• A search that starts on a mobile
device often results in a
purchase made from a
• Many marketers still do not
have a mobile website.
Use Click-to-call feature in your ad listings.
Lead the searchers to landing page
optimized for mobile devices.
7 Tips for Mobile SEM: Summarized
Adwords Enhanced Campaigns Upgrade
Average cost-per-click, a critical
metric that denotes the price
advertisers pay Google, declined 6
percent from a year ago, the fifth
consecutive quarter of decline, but
increased about 2 percent over the
third quarter of 2012.
Advertisers with well targeted mobile campaigns should delay the
upgrade as much as they can
You will lose the
and end up spending
your mobile clicks.
Also tablets are being
to PCs – for bidding.
Adwords Enhanced Campaigns Upgrade: Our Opinion
Need Guidance on what to do..
Adwords Enhanced Campaigns
Schedule one-on-one consultation
with NetElixir mobile search experts.
Insights on mobile shopping behavior
of Princeton University students
• Independent study commissioned by NetElixir.
• Survey Period: December 5-20, 2012
• Survey Done by:
• Dalia Katan, Princeton Univ. 2015
• Number of undergrads that completed the survey:
• 64.4% Female; 34.7% Male.
What % of Gen Y engaged in Mobile Shopping?
15.2% made at least one purchase through their
What Did Gen Y Buy using their smart phones?
Why did they shop with their mobile phones?
• Save time
• Limited access to brick and mortar store
• Store has a mobile app
Why didn’t they…
• Security Concerns
• Task is easier to complete on a computer
• Screen is too small
What can retailers learn from this..
• Though, mobile shopping is becoming popular, % purchase through
smartphones still remains small.
• Lack of mobile website is partly responsible for this. (“Screen is too
• Mobile apps save time. However, there are millions of apps out there. You
should invest in building a mobile app only if you can make shopping easy
and fun. Also, your app should be in line with your brand values.
• Average order value is going to remain smaller that online AOV.
However, you can increase the purchase frequency. Remember- mobile
shopping is more impulsive than online shopping.
To request your complimentary copy of the
Best Practices in Mobile Search
Advertising, email me at
If you found today’s session to be useful, help us
share knowledge & tweet about this session: