GUIDELINES TO WRITEPROJECT REPORTDr.T.Vanniarajan,Reader – Department of Business Administration,NMSSVN College, Madurai.
FORMAT OF PROJECT REPORT1. INTRODUCTION2. CONCEPTS AND REVIEWS3. BODY OF THE REPORT4. SUMMARY OF FINDINGS,CONCLUSION,SUGGESTION5. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY6. REFERENCES7. APPENDIX
1. INTRODUCTIONImportance of your study area.Importance of the idea focused in the studyMacro view of the industry / market.Profile of the industry.Important crisis in the industry / market.Note:Try to give foot notes whenever you are using the factualinformation and copying the definitions and ideas given byothers.
FOOT NOTEIt may be Book, Journal, Report, Newspaper etc.,If Book : Name of the author, Book title, Publishing House,Place, Year, Page No.If Journal : Name of the Writer, Year, “Article Title”, Journal Name,Volume, No., PP: From – To.If Report : Name of the organization, “Report Title”, Year,Page No.If Newspaper : Name of the Newspaper, Year, Month, Date, Page No.If unpublishedThesis : Name of the candidate , Title of the Thesis, Submittedto which University, Year, Page No.Note:Foot notes may be used at anywhere in your report when you haveDrawn the information from other sources.
NEED FOR THE STUDYAnswer why you carry on this research.Explain the motives behind it.Is there any contribution, you want to deliver to theindustry or society or the research field.Condition:Not exceeding one paragraph which consists of 10 to 12 lines.
STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEMExplain the problem to be focused in your research.Severity of the problem.Consequences of the problem in the selected field.Reasons for such problems.
OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDYThe exact aims to be fulfilled in your research.List it one by one.No condition for having the number of objectives.But the specified objectives to be fulfilled by yourresearch report.Classification of objectives like primary and secondarymay also be allowed.Write a clear and precise statement of objectives.Create the objectives on the basis of your title of the study.
METHODOLOGYResearch Design.Construct Development.Operational definitions.Description of population.Sampling framework.Data collection forms.Analysis of data (Frame work of analysis).Limitations.
CHAPTER FRAME WORKNumber of chapters in your research proposal.Explain the chapter with heading and contents upto the last chapter.Note:Number of chapters left to your choice.
2. CONCEPTS AND REVIEWSConceptual frame work.List out the concepts to be used.Write the definition of concepts with foot note.Finally, write the meaning of concept what do youmean in your project.Review of literature (Review of previous studies)Studies may be related to same title, related title,same industry / market or same field.STEPS TO BE FOLLOWED:Before starting the project.Visit the libraries.Collect the relevant reviewsSummate the reviews (Brief in nature)Give foot note in the same page.Caution: Reviews only direct us to enrich the quality of researchespecially for beginners.
3. BODY OF THE REPORTHeadingTablesDiagramsAnalysis
HEADINGChoose the correct heading of your chapter related tobody of the report.Don’t write analysis and interpretation.Try to arrange table / analysis according to the objectivesof research.Use only simple sentences in selecting the title.Try to write the catching words for creating the title.
TABLESBefore table, try to write what you are going to presentin the table.Mention any classification of samples and also the basefor classification.Table may be simple / multiple.If sample is not 100, present the percentage of the totalin a separate column.Present the table with numbers.Write the interpretation of the table.Write a few words (gist) of the table.Do it for all tables.
DIAGRAMDiagram may be used according to the need andsuitability.Pie Diagram, Bar Diagram or any.Numbering it as Figure – 1 to n.Write the introduction of diagram.Present the diagram.Write interpretation of the diagram.
ANALYSISSelect suitable statistical analysis.See the objectives to be focused, scale of data.See the chart given for analysis.Start from uni-variate to multi-variate analysis.Need not give all details related to the analysis.Extract the result of the analysis.Determine the format of the presentation.(See in your review)Write introduction for the analysis: Represent the purposeof using the analysis, Variables to be dealt, Formula if any,Results.Write the interpretation of the table and finally write the gistof the findings from the table.Until you write all objectives.
4. SUMMARY OF FINDINGS, CONCLUSIONAND SUGGESTIONWrite a small introduction of your study (Narrated).Mention study objectives (Full).Write the methodology (Narrated).Write your findings one by one.While writing findings avoid the presentation of numbersor any formula.Summate all findings in the form of research implications.
RESEARCH IMPLICATIONSComparison of your findings with other related findingswith foot notes.Mention your research contribution to the industry /research field.Write a few words about your total gist of the findings.
CONCLUSIONWrite conclusion on the basis of your findings.Try to point out the solution for the problem mentionedin the statement of problem.Concluding remarks for the enrichment of anything whichis included in your study.
SUGGESTIONS OR MANAGERIALIMPLICATIONMention your suggestions to solve the problemsidentified with the research.Mention various technical tips to the management toformulate / execute any programmes.Suggestion should be based on your findings.
5. EXECUTIVE SUMMARYObjectivesBrief methodologyFindingsSuggestionNote :1. It should be brief in nature, since it is meant for themanagement executives.2. Try to minimize the number of pages ie., one or two pages.
6. REFERENCESBooksJournalsNews papersReportsUnpublished Thesis / DissertationOthersNote:Try to arrange it in an alphabetic manner regarding each case.
7. APPENDIXQuestionnaire / Interview Schedule.Tables not included with the body of report.Tables not included with the introduction.Any other left out details.