Before the start of commercial chicken farming,chickens where kept in coops at night and let toroam free during the day!We changed all that!
By doing this, we not only createdan unnatural setting for the creationof mass produced unhealthy food,but also the incubator and breeding groundfor various deceases that threatenanimals and humans alike.We took them out of their natural environment wherethey fended for themselves,received plenty of exercise,lived stress free and on a healthy balanceof natural food, water and fresh air.
During the course of the past couple of years,I have done in-depth research and testingin organic farming methods,and have come to the conclusionthat it is possible to breed poultry ina totally organic manner, free of hormones,antibiotics and feed which include animal by products.
Tests were performed in an area known for weatherfluctuations, 10 degrees Celsius up to 40 degreesCelsius during one day.During the first two weeks the chickens were keptunder lights and enclosed, after which they were letout.The first test was conducted with 100 one day oldchicksShelter consisted of shade netting and lucern bales.
They were given formulated organic feed,certain herbs where planted in theirenclosure to boost their immune systems anda supply of clean water.No mortalities took place in that sixteenweek period and they grew to an averageslaughtered weight of 5.4 kg.Growth and weight increase was monitoredand they were fed for sixteen weeks.The next test was done with 400 one day oldchicks. Still no mortalities, and these were fedup to 8 weeks old. The average slaughteredweight was 2.5 kg.
2. Their diet did not consist only of dry organic feed and cleanwater, but also green foliage, bugs and insects that they scratchedand scrubbed for.I would just like to point out that this was asuccessful test due to the following elements:1. The poultry were given adequate space to roam and forage.4. Furthermore, I wish to add, that a special recognized organicmaterial was added to their diet, which kept their digestive systemsclean and healthy and enabled them to have optimal benefit fromthe nutrients in their diet.3. They were not de-beaked but no cannibalism took place, due tothe green feed in their diet.
After having done this test, I decided to develop afarming method, totally organic, eco-friendly and withas small carbon footprint as possible.First of all I had to select the best possible area for thisproject.An area that had a good water source, smallfluctuation in temperature and a reliable supply ofelectricity.
I settled on a 468hectare farm that was ideally situatedwith routes to the main city(Windhoek), to our harbortown(Walvisbay) and one kilometer from Karibib airport.The farm is on the outskirts of Karibib, an impoverishedsmall rural town, from where 90% of my workforcewould be recruited.
Following and adhering to strict organic rules andguidelines, the following will be implemented:1. An electrified fence3. A firebreak road4. Water will be supplied from 4 boreholes andSwakoppoort pipeline.2. 24 hour manned security gate5. Water will go through a purification and softeningplant.
6. Used water will be recycled to re-use throughirrigation system7. The irrigation system consist of pivot, linear, drip andmist dispensing
7. The irrigation system consist of, pivot, linear, drip andmist dispensing.6. Used water will undergo another purification process,to be reused for irrigation.
8. 6000 Olive and 3 000 citrus trees will be planted9. 50 000 Lay hens to debug, fertilize and supply organiceggs.
11. Fully automated abattoir10. 48 coops in phase 1, another 48 coops in phase two.
12. Employees(+/- 100) will receive above marketrelated remuneration, free medical aid, pension, trainingand a safe healthy environment to work in, as well asproper canteen, rest and ablution areas.13. Where possible, use will be made of solar electricity,all slaughter waste will be incinerated on site and andused together with all other organic farm waste, in theBio fertilizer process
In conclusion:The total investment needed to construct and implement thisproject, amounts to twenty million dollar ($20 000 000.00)and through calculations, showed that the net profit of the firstphase to be twelve million dollar ($12 000 000.00) per annum.This project will be the first of its kind in Africa,and due to the diverse implementation of various systems, thefirst project of this nature, in the world.With the total funding of twenty million dollar($20 000 000.00),phase two can start the same time as phase one and then theper annum net profit will double to twenty-four milliondollar($24 000 000.00)