Laurence Smith presents slides on how to build a herbal medicine cabinet. These are his personal essential tips and life-saving methods to being naturally prepared and equipped for any urgent health situation.
Herbal Medicine Cabinet
Why Would You Need a First Aid Kit?
There are many health concerns that could
and should be handled at home. The
sooner there is intervention, the sooner
the healing process begins. It is important
to have natural products on hand that can
immediately be used when a person feels
"out of sorts".
Developing a Natural Medicine
Cabinet and First Aid Kit
• Provides peace of mind knowing that you
have basic remedies on hand
• Gives you the opportunity to practice using
herbs in a non-emergency situation, and
build your confidence in both yourself and
these natural products – and caring for
common complaints at home
Your Second Line of Defense
The Silver Solution
• "Second Immune System"
• The very minute ionized particles of
silver, suspended in pure water aid
in immune system defense for
maximum bioavailability. It works
quickly when ingested.
Silver – How does it work?
• Silver Shield is cell-structure specific—
any single cell organism is subject to
• Vital Shield for the immune system
• Immune system Stimulant – Chinese (was
• Effective with l-lysine.
• Nourishes the liver
• Promotes a healthy respiratory tract.
• Maintains a strong immune system.
• Supports mucus membranes throughout
• Echinacea/Golden seal (liquid)
• Supports healthy ears and lungs.
• May help soothe the respiratory system.
• Lower Bowel Stimulant formula
• Lower Bowel Support
• Strengthens the colon and increases
• Improves digestion,
• reduces gas and cramping, and
• helps the growth of friendly bacteria.
• Supports the immune system.
• Easily assimilated in the body.
• Flower essence version of Bach’s
• For a variety of emotionally
• Potent immune system stimulant and
– Echinacea purpurea, Echinacea pallida, and
• Directly stimulates the immune system.
• A stimulant laxative for a moving experience
• "Sacred Bark" root is a popular treatment for
occasional constipation because it is not habitforming. It is used to increase the secretion of
digestive fluids, create large soft bowel
movements, and stimulate the peristaltic action
of the colon.
• The hot pepper that cools pain after exercise or
• Capsicum can be applied directly to the skin or
• It is one of the most versatile stimulant herbs
known. It is a digestive aid, relieves pain after
exercise or muscle overuse, and itching palms
• Provides digestive and circulatory support.
• Used to support the body's cleansing
and detoxification mechanisms.
• Ability to "attract" and absorb.
–Removes toxins from the body.
–Absorbs intestinal gas
• Tei Fu Essential Oils
• Tei Fu Massage Lotion
• Stimulating aromatic oils are
cleansing, mood enhancing
Helps moisturize tissues.
Use on any external tissue.
Supports healthy skin.
Soothes and moisturizes dry skin.
• Drawing salve
• Helps tighten, tone and firm the skin.
APS II (w/White Willow Bark)
• Chemically similar to salicylic acid.
• Salicin appears to help prevent the production
• Includes valerian root to provide additional
nervous system support, including promoting
feelings of relaxation.
Pain relief formula after exercise or muscle
– Sore muscles
– Sore back
Products that encourage a healthy
inflammatory response after exercise or
ALJ Capsules or Liquid
• Lung support
• Helps soothe irritated tissues.
• Provides effective respiratory system
Aloe Vera Gel
• Soothes the skin
• It spreads on and penetrates quickly. Use
generously and keep the skin moist.
Catnip and Fennel
• Although the flavor is mild enough for an
infant, you can also rub the liquid on
baby's back and abdomen.
• Also try some on the back of the tongue
to expel occasional painful gas or control
Cranberry & Buchu
• Cranberry juice does contain substances
that support a healthy urinary tract.
• Supports the respiratory system in its
battle against pollutants and toxins,
especially during the changing seasons.
• Stabilizes immune cells.
• Muscle-relaxing respiratory and
• Relaxing, antispasmodic, supports the
• Larger doses can bring on nausea
– This is cleansing; not a reaction to "poison."
Papaya Mint Chewable Tablets
• Tasty digestive stimulant
• Papaya fruit contains proteolytic
enzymes that function in the digestion of
protein, while peppermint leaves contain
aromatic compounds capable of
triggering the production of digestive
Pau d'Arco Capsules
• Strengthens and supports the immune
• Fortifies against foreign invaders.
• Digestive aid
• Freshens breath
• Helps neutralize acid and soothes the stomach.
• pH-balancing formula provides natural
ingredients to help nutritionally support digestion
in times of occasional stomach upset.
• Contains calcium carbonate, which is alkaline in
nature and helps buffer acid.
• Helps neutralize acid.
Black Walnut concentrate
Fossil Shell Flour
–Aids the digestive system
–Soothes the stomach
–Minimizes occasional gastric
heartburn, acid indigestion, and
Acting Quickly in an Emergency
• Activated Charcoal –
– Always call Poison Control Center first
• If they recommend inducing vomiting, use Lobelia
–Lobelia – emetic
–Black Ointment – drawing salve
–Aloe Vera Gel – moistens skin
–Silver Shield gel
Moisturize & Conditions
–Tei Fu Oil
–Tea Tree oil
• Relief Formula
– Minor muscular aches and pains following exercise
• APS II
• Tei-Fu Massage Lotion
– May promote muscle relaxation
–Tei Fu Massage Lotion
– aching muscles, tension.
–Catnip and Fennel – occasional
gas, occasional mild acid indigestion, occasional
–Activated Charcoal – bloating, absorbs gas