Recap from Chapter 16
Childlessness for over 10
years got to Sarai,
She decides to give her
maid servant, Hagai, to
Abram as a second wife.
Abram and Sarai did not
consult the Lord over
The taking of Hagai as a
problems in Abram’s
The Lord appears to Hagai
who had run away and
tells her to return to her
Recap from Chapter 16 (Continued)
Hagai returns and
bore Abraham a
Abram called his
son with Hagar as
Abram was 86
Years old when
Genesis 17:1 - 2
When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the Lord appeared to Abram and said
to him, “I am Almighty God; walk before Me and be blameless. 2 And I will
make My covenant between Me and you and will multiply you exceedingly.”
In Chapter 17, God appears to Abram and announces
Himself as El-Shakddai ( God Almighty)
1. This is the fourth recorded instance of the Lord
Speaking to Abraham (see Genesis 12:1, 12:7; 15:1).
2. On each occasion the Lord reveals some greater
detail of His plans for Abram and his descendants.
3. Abram was 75 years old when he departed from
Haran to the promised land (Canaan).
4. Abram was 86 years old when Hagar bore Ishmael.
5. He was 99 Years old when the Lord appeared to him
in Genesis 17.
6. 24 years had passed since the initial promise was
made to him.
7. 13 Years had passed since Ismael was born.
The Names of God - EL
The simplest name by which God is referred to is
In Genesis 16: 13 we saw the name El-Roi, the
God who sees, which comes from the story of
o This name tells us that He is not a distant
God, watching things from afar. But that He
sees you regardless of your circumstances.
In Genesis 17: 1, God refers to Himself as El
Shaddai which means God Almighty
o This name tells us that God is all-powerful;
nothing is too hard for Him. He can do
o It indicates that God controls the power of
nature and makes them serve His purposes.
The Names of God - YHWH
God reveals Himself by name in the Bible and these names are
significant in that they reveal something of who God is.
The most common name for God in Scripture is the one our Bibles
write as LORD in all capital letters. It is the name YHWH, which we
1. The Jews had such reverence for this name that they would not
say it out loud, instead they used the name Adonai.
2. The meaning is explained in Exodus 3:14 “And God said to
Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” And He said, “Thus you shall say to
the children of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’ ”
3. This name stresses the covenant faithfulness of God. That He will
be what He was always been to His people.
4. YHWH is the incommunicable name of God, it is never used for
anyone else but God.
5. The Jews attempted to stone the Lord Jesus Christ in John 8:58
when He referred to Himself as I AM.
The Names of God - Adonai
1. This name points to God as the
almighty ruler to whom all things are
2. It is commonly rendered as Lord in the
Bible and is used more than 400 times
in the Bible.
3. It was the usual name by which the
people of Israel addressed God.
4. Used in Psalm 97: 5, “The mountains
melt like wax at the presence of the
LORD (YWHW), At the presence of the
Lord (Adonai) of the whole earth”.
Why does God, reveal Himself as El-
Shaddai in Genesis 17:1?
1. This was after Abram and Sarai had tried to help God to fulfil His promise for an offspring
2. Abram and Sarai had reasoned that it was impossible for Sarai to conceive a child given
that she was advanced in age.
3. God is therefore reminding Abram, that there is nothing impossible with God.
4. That God has the power to bring to pass all of His promises and there is nothing that can
hinder His purposes.
God gives two instructions to Abram
God gives Abram two instructions related to whom He has revealed Himself to be, namely:
1. Walk before me,
2. Be blameless.
Question: How would Chapter 16 have been different if Abram had walked before the
Answer: Abram would not have agreed to help God by having a child with Hagar.
1. He should have consulted the Lord to establish what he should do.
2. He should have trusted that the Lord who can do anything would bring to pass His
purposes through His almighty power.
3. He would have not done that which was not right and taken a second wife regardless
of it being acceptable in the culture of the day.
What does Walking Before the Lord look
like for You and Me?
When we walk before the Lord it means
1. Bear in mind God’s presence as we walk through life.
2. Bringing before the Lord all our cares and not being self sufficient in
3. Waiting upon the Lord and not being impatient. In His time God will bring
to pass His promises.
4. Trusting that God is able to do exceedingly, abundantly above all that we
ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us (Ephesians 3:20).
5. Being careful not to do anything that would displease an Almighty God.
6. Obeying God’s standard of Holiness which is that you must be blameless.
• God appears to Abram and reminds him that He is the Almighty God.
• God places two obligations on Abram for him to enjoy the benefits of
the Covenant and these are that he should walk before the Lord and be
• We as believers are descendants of Abraham if we believe (have faith in
the Lord Jesus Christ)
• As descendants of Abraham, we must walk before the Lord and be
• If you are not a Christian, it is impossible for you to be blameless before
the Lord for your sin places you at enmity with God (Romans 8:5-7).
John Calvin says, “There is no other method of living piously and justly, than that of depending