Evaluation Question Four
How did you use new technologies in
the construction and research,
planning and evaluation stages?
• For the production of our music video we used a DSLR Canon
EOS 650D for the filming. It was fairly easy to use as we only
used a limited amount of its functions and relied on post
productions to create a professional video.
• We also used this camera later on as part of our photo shoot
for our magazine advert and digipak.
• To make sure our video was professional looking we also used
tripods and different lighting equipment.
• For the post-production of our music video we used
a programme on the iMac computers called iMovie
to edit our footage. Having previously used this
software I felt confident and comfortable using it.
• We imported the footage onto iMovie and used the
programme to construct and edit it.
• One main feature we used was filters such as sepia,
black and white, vignette and one to brighten the
• We also cut some of the frames down to focus on
certain aspects of the clip, e.g. focusing on two male
• Another technique we used was to slow down the
footage. For example one scene to show the
aggression of the male characters.
• The song for our music video also had to be edited in
order to ensure that the lyrics and music matched
the visuals. As we also included lip synching we had
to make sure this was spot on too.
• In order for everything to sync up precisely we had to
keep cutting the footage to the very second.
• In constructing our digipak we used a website called
• We manipulated the images through different filters
and by changing the contrast and saturation until we
were happy with the overall appearance of them.
• We then used this website to construct our digipak too.
• We followed this similar process for our magazine
• The internet was the main tool when it came to research. Search engines such as
Google led us to a range of other websites that we utilised.
• Google led us to websites such as Will. I. Am’s Twitter page, his Facebook page and
Will. I. Am’s own website.
• I used these websites to get a better idea of Will. I. Am’s image and his target
audience. These websites therefore gave a better understanding of how to appeal
to his audience through our music video, digipak and magazine advert.
• I used programmes such as Prezi and Powerpoint for elements of my research to
present my findings.
• I used Powerpoint (and Slideshare) to present my research into
different genres of music, having used PowerPoint before; I found it
easy to use. In contrast, I thought using Prezi would give a more
creative stance to my blog and so used this for my analysis of three
different music videos and my digipak ideas. Having only briefly
used this before, it was slightly harder to use, and to add to this I
had never used a scanner before and needed to scan my digipak
ideas onto the computer.
• For our audience feedback we used different groups of people after
each first drafts. We recorded them using PhotoBooth on the iMac
watching our music video and left this un edited to see their true
first reactions, we then interviewed them after (while still
recording) to get a better idea of how we could improve our
• We also used social networking sites as part of
our research. We used Twitter and Facebook
to look at Will. I. Am’s fan base. This gave us a
better understanding of his audience and how
to appeal to them.
• We recorded and presented all of our research
onto our blogs. I think using a blog to present
all of our findings was fairly straight forward
due to the limit functions on the blog. It kept
all our findings neat, however, it was hard to
move images around the post and so we could
not be truly creative when posting.
• In planning our music video, we first created a storyboard by drawing
out each shot of our video. We then scanned it onto the computer and
posted it onto our blog.
• To create our animatic we scanned each shot of the storyboard onto
the computer and then uploaded these images onto iMovie. In iMovie
we then imported our song and edited each shot to how long we
wanted it in our music video, so that our visuals and soundtrack
• For our digipak planning we first looked at the different
possible nets that we could use through Google. Once we
established which net would be most appropriate we then
looked back at our research of digpaks and decided which
ones were the most successful. We then went to pixlr.com
to edit some possible images we could use in our digipak.
• Similarly to our digipak, when it came to planning our
magazine advert we used technologies such as pixlr.com to
edit chosen images and look at possible designs for our
• When presenting my evaluation questions I used a variety
of media technologies and electronic formats:
• Evaluation One- I kept this as a simple text blog post on to
Blogger and included videos from YouTube to help
demonstrate certain features. I also created three different
diagrams that included a number of images (taken/screen
grabbed from our music video) with annotations attached; I
created these on Paint.
• Evaluation Two- This question I decided to film myself
talking through the question and posted this onto YouTube
and embedded it onto my blog. Underneath my video I
wrote a quick summery of what I spoke about with images
• Evaluation Three- I used a Prezi to present my question three.
Using Prezi, I was able to import images to help demonstrate
the points I made to my audience.
• Evaluation Four- I firstly used PowerPoint and then uploaded
this on to Slideshare so I could creatively present it. This
included images to help demonstrate my ideas and answer.