ABOUT ZENOSS CORE …
• Zenoss (Zenoss Core) is a free and open-source application, server, and
network management platform based on the Zope application server.
• Released under the GNU General Public License (GPL) version 2.
• Provides a web interface that allows system administrators to monitor
availability, inventory/configuration, performance, and events.
* Zope Application server: An object-oriented web server written in
ZENOSS CORE PROVIDES :
• Monitoring availability of network devices using SNMP, SSH, WMI
• Monitoring of network services (HTTP, POP3, NNTP, SNMP, FTP)
• Monitoring of host resources (processor, disk usage) on most network
• Time-series performance monitoring of devices
ZENOSS MAJOR PARTS :
• User Layer (Web Portal)
• Watch the status of your enterprise, using the Dashboard
• Work with devices, networks, and systems
• Monitor and respond to events
• Manage users
• Create and run reports
*The user layer Interacts with the data layer and translates the information for
display in the user interface.
ZENOSS MAJOR PARTS :
• Data Layer
• Configuration and collection information is stored in the data layer, in
three separate databases:
• ZenRRD- Utilizing RRDtool, stores time-series performance data.
Because RRD files are stored locally to each collector, no
bottlenecks result from writing to a single database as new
collectors are added.
• ZenModel- Serves as the core configuration model, which
comprises devices, their components, groups, and locations. It
holds device data in the ZEO back-end object database.
• ZenEvents- Stores event data in a MySQL database
• Process Layer
• manages communications between the collection and data layers
• utilizes Twisted PB (a bidirectional RPC system) for communications.
• Collection Layer
• comprises services that collect and feed data to the data layer
• Provided numerous daemons that perform modeling, monitoring, and
event management functions.
• Open Source
• Free and open source
• Backed by the efforts of a large community of users
• Deploy and adapt on your own terms
• Full Lifecycle Visibility
• Monitor performance and availability
• Centralize fault/alarm/event management
• Real-time alerting & reporting
• Physical and Virtual IT Infrastructure
• Single integrated view of networks, servers and apps
• Seem less visibility between virtual and physical machines
• Cross-vendor, cross-platform support (Windows, Linux, Unix)
• Scalable for the Enterprise
• Auto-discovery and policy-driven configuration makes it easy to configure in
• Management tools for large, distributed configurations
• High availability
• Open, Flexible Architecture
• Open architecture makes it easy to customize and extend
• Open standards and agentless deployment eliminate lock-in
• Use what you like for free
• Web interface feels slow (Zope is bloated)
• Limited open-source version. Full version needs to be paid for.
• SELECT operation in MYSQL Database produces extra high I/O when getting
some data from the Events History.
• requires a bit more than a superficial knowledge of the interface
• Opaque operation
• You can add monitoring and check back later if anything worked they way you
• Configuration and data is spread across MySQL, the internal Zope database
storage and RRD files on disk.