TIPS FOR PARTICIPATING IN THE WEBINAR
• I will be making each person a presenter, which will allow you to share your
webcam and speak to all participants.
• To share your webcam, click the ‘Webcam’ tab on the control panel and click
‘Share my Webcam’
• You will be muted for parts of the presentation, but can ask questions
throughout, by typing questions in the ‘Chat’ tab, at the bottom of the control
panel. You will be unmuted at the end to ask questions out loud.
• If at any point you are having technical issues, please alert us so we can be
sure that we can hear you.
Office of Field Learning and
• Introduction to Field Instruction
• Fields of Practice
• Field Instructor and Faculty Advisor
• Placement Process
• Preparing for Field Instruction
• Field Instruction Calendars
You will have access to this presentation and the resources in it here.
Introduction to Field Instruction
Field Instruction provides:
•opportunity to develop a professional identity through exposure to social work values and theories
•opportunity to apply social work knowledge and values and build skills in a field placement setting
•dynamic learning experience in which students combine experiential and traditional learning
More information can be found in the MSW Student Manual, p. 37
Fields of Practice
• Contemporary Social Issues for Children and Adolescents
• School Social Work
• Contemporary Social Issues for Adults
• Contemporary Issues for Older Adults
• World of Work
• Mental Health
• Community Mental Health/Adults
• Hospital Based Mental Health/Adults
• Developmental Disability Across the Life Cycle
• Social Work and Law
More information on each of these fields can be found here.
1.Submit Field Learning forms to Field Learning Office
2.You will be matched by the Field Learning Office and contacted to schedule a confirmation
3.Following the interview, the agency will contact the Field Learning Office to confirm the
placement. Most students are confirmed, but another match will be made in the student-agency
match is not suitable.
Preparing for Field Instruction
• Read MSW Student Manual
• Introduction to Social Work Practice in the U.S. course taught by Professor Virge Luce
Field Instruction Calendar
Most international students will continue Field Instruction II into the summer. Refer to the
Field Learning calendars below as general timeframes when making travel plans