Grade 8 | Unit 8.5 | Page 9
SHOULD I GAMBLE OR NOT?
There are times when a person should not gamble at all:
• When an individual is under the legal gambling age, 18.
• When using substances that impair decisions or alter moods, e.g. alcohol
• When other people or responsibilities are being neglected as a result of
• When the gambling activity is illegal.
People who after careful consideration still choose to gamble should keep the
following guidelines in mind:
• Maintain balance.
• Set limits.
• Never borrow money to gamble.
• Assess your reasons for gambling.
• Know that gambling is not essential for having a good time.
• Know that you cannot control the selection process of the outcome of a
game of chance. Winning is a matter of luck.
• Recognize that the longer you play, the more it will cost you.
FREE HELPLINE: 0800 006 008
Are you now able to:
• Outline how to make responsible decisions about risky behaviour like
• Assess your own risky circumstances?
• Discuss the probability of winning (and losing!) in games of chance?
• Distinguish between the different levels of control you have over decision-
making processes, over risky circumstances in which you find yourself, and
over the selection process of outcomes in games of chance?
• Know where to seek help for a gambling problem?