Grade 8 | Unit 8.5| Page 10
Learning Activity Sheet
Role Playing Scenarios - Managing gambling behaviour responsibly
With your partner or group, read through the following scenarios.
Choose one of the scenarios, decide what characters each person will play, and plan how you will role play it for
the class. (You may decide to change the scenario or to construct one of your own.)
• Perform it for your class.
• Discuss with the class why you decided to handle the situation in the way you did in your role play.
1. You have been saving for over a year to buy a mountain bike. A really good deal has come up, but you don't
have enough money. You are frantic. You decide to take all your money to buy Lotto tickets and hope to win
the money you need.
2. You have been losing at dice, but you intend to ask your friend to lend you R50 to continue playing dice. You
feel lucky and are sure you will be able to repay her with your winnings.
3. Your grandmother is a sangoma. You want to ask her to interpret your dreams so that you can place all your
saved money on a fafi bet.
4. You are playing a slot machine and it hasn't paid out anything for the past hour. You borrow money to continue
to play because you are convinced that the machine will pay out a large amount very soon.
5. You failed your exam at school and your parents were very angry when they saw your report card. You are
now so upset that you decide to go and play dice to make you feel better.
6. A card game is going on in the schoolyard. You have been very lucky with winning during the past three
weeks. You think that you are “lucky” at cards and so you are now planning on betting a whole lot of money.
7. Describe your own possible scenario.