An Introduction to the QLTS:
Qualified Lawyers Transfer Scheme
• Discover The Fast-Track Route to Becoming an English Solicitor
• Find Out How to Prepare and Pass The Assessments First Time
QLTS School presents:
What is the QLTS?
• The way for international lawyers to dual-qualify as English
• No experience or training requirement
• Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) and
administered by Kaplan QLTS.
• Replaced the previous QLTT regime in 2010
Why Become an English Solicitor?
Work as a solicitor of England and Wales
Unlock new career opportunities in the UK or throughout the world
Enhance your professional profile, reputation and marketability in your
home jurisdiction with a prestigious qualification
Offer a wider range of legal services to your clients
Gain a foothold in the EU market
Win more business and increase your revenues
The QLTS Assessments
• Part 1: Multiple Choice Test (MCT) – delivered online - tests Outcomes A1-A11 with 180
multiple choice questions, divided into three-hour periods of morning and afternoon sessions
(90 questions each)
• Part 2: Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE) – practical assessment - tests five
skills (with a single pass mark for both sub-parts of the OSCE):
• Part I
• Part II
• Online legal research
• Legal drafting
• Legal writing
• Part II tests the skills in each of the areas of business law, civil and criminal litigation, and
property and probate. It is based on the practical assessment used for medical students.
• The MCT must be passed before the OSCE is attempted
• There is no limit on the number of attempts allowed at each of the two
parts of the assessments, nor a time limit for completing the two
assessments within a certain time period
• Exemptions can only be granted by the SRA to EEA and intra-UK lawyers
• Lawyers from other jurisdictions cannot obtain exemptions
• Candidates are not allowed to use any materials during the assessments
Taking the Assessments
• The assessments are offered twice a year in London, UK. The MCT is
also offered in NYC, Singapore, India, Johannesburg, Dubai and in
several cities in Europe
• The next available MCTs will be 10 February 2016 and 6 July 2016. The
OSCE will be offered in November 2015 and June 2016
• There are no formal steps to follow prior to sitting the assessments
• A list of Qualified Lawyers in Recognised Jurisdictions is published at the
Why Do You Need a QLTS Course Provider?
• Kaplan QLTS cannot provide preparation courses
• The syllabus is fairly comprehensive and covers the entire corpus of
• The MCT has no specific or pre-determined pass mark. The pass mark is
determined by a ‘Standard Setting Panel’ convened by the SRA, based on
very rigorous and robust criteria. You therefore must excel and score a
higher mark in order to pass
• The OSCE is a very unique practical assessment. You cannot adequately
prepare just by reading a book
Pass Rates on the MCT
The average pass rate for three consecutive sittings of the MCT was 57%
A research study conducted by ICF International (NASDAQ:ICFI), an independent
unbiased firm, confirms that:-
The pass rates of QLTS School’s candidates is about double the rate—or more—
compared to non-QLTS School candidates
About 3 out of 4 candidates who pass the MCT prepare with one of QLTS
School’s MCT courses
The vast majority of QLTS School’s MCT candidates pass first time
Conclusion: Taking our Course will Significantly
Improve your Prospects of Success
Comparison of pass rate for QLTS School’s candidates
and non-QLTS School candidates
Breakdown of known candidate outcomes
over three consecutive MCT sittings
The QLTS School Preparation Course
• The most comprehensive, affordable and flexible remote-based
preparation course for both parts of the QLTS
• Our tutors and administrative staff attended the SRA seminars that were
held in London since the introduction of the QLTS in 2010
• The course reflects the SRA's syllabus and skills requirements and
combines comprehensive and professionally written textbooks,
extensive online resources and tutor support
Why Should You Study with QLTS School?
• Focused – the QLTS is all we do – this means competitive pricing,
dedicated support and extensive training materials
• Expertise – we have been offering the QLTS since its introduction – the
premier training provider for individual candidates and the world’s leading
• Experienced – handpicked expert tutors and support team know the
assessments well and how best to prepare and support you
• Professional – we heavily invest in our course material and we act fast to
adjust ourselves to changes
Why Should You Study with QLTS School?
• Flexible – using the latest technology, we deliver the course that
allows you to study on your terms. Full-time, part-time, anytime!
• Up-to-the-minute – receive course and law updates by e-mail
• Success – pass rate for QLTS School’s candidates twice as high as
non-QLTS School candidates
– Check out our testimonials of candidates who passed all assessments on
their first attempt – now working as English solicitors
The MCT Course – What is Offered? 11 comprehensive textbooks covering all areas of practice required by the SRA
QLTS Course Handbook
Revision notes summarising the key points
and main legal principles
More than 1,000 multiple choice questions
15 mock exams similar to the formal MCT
Free periodic updates for the course materials
MCT Video Library with over 80 online
tutorials, 35 + hours of lectures
2 hours of tutor support
Initial guidance and a tailor-made study plan
The revision notes, multiple choice questions, video tutorials, mock tests, and course updates are accessible through
our MCT Online Training System. You can study whenever and wherever you want - 24/7.
SAMPLE QUESTION – PROPERTY LAW: A man owns a large farm with two fields, each has a house on it.
The first house (“first house”) is routinely accessed by a main driveway running through the field of the
other house (retained by the man) to the highway. The man sells the field with the first house to a poultry
farmer. The deed grants an express easement over an alternative access way that the man is constructing,
but in wet weather, the alternative access is impassable by the poultry farmer’s wagons, and he begins to
use the main driveway, crossing through the field that has been retained by the man to access the first
house in the field that he purchased from the man.
Which of the following statements best describes the legal position?
A. The poultry farmer has the benefit of an easement implied by necessity to use the driveway.
B. The poultry farmer has the benefit of an easement implied by common intention to use the driveway.
C. The poultry farmer has an easement by implied grant to use the driveway.
D. The poultry farmer has an easement conferred by the Law of Property Act 1925 to use the driveway.
E. The poultry farmer does not have the benefit of any easement to use the driveway.
SOLUTION: The best answer is C. The poultry farmer has an easement
acquired by implied grant under Wheeldon v Burrows to use the driveway.
The poultry farmer does not have an easement of necessity, as he has an
alternative access route granted by the express easement.
The fact that an alternative access route was designated by the deed
precludes the poultry farmer from raising a claim that there was a common
intention that he be granted an easement over the drive.
However, the requirements of the rule in Wheeldon v Burrows would be
satisfied, since the driveway was used for the benefit of the first house before
the disposition of the field (as the other access has not been constructed), it
was continuous and apparent, in use on the time of the disposition and it is
necessary for the reasonable enjoyment of the first house.
Lead case: Wheeldon v Burrows  12 ChD 31
SAMPLE QUESTION – TORT: A married woman with two children, who has also been financially supporting
her mother, dies in a fatal accident which has been caused due to the negligence of another person. The
woman’s husband was unemployed for several months at the time of her death. The woman also had a
younger sister with physical disability whose house she cleaned every two weeks, and an old uncle for
whom she had been cooking dinners once a week. The woman had been providing this support for her
sister and uncle for several years until she died. Under these circumstances, which of the following options
best describes the full list of people within the woman’s family who are entitled to claim damages against
the wrongdoer, under the Fatal Accidents Act 1976? Assume the dependants claim in the name of the
executor or administrator of the deceased’s estate.
A. The husband, children and the woman’s mother
B. The children and the woman’s mother
C. The husband, children, woman’s mother and sister
D. The children, woman’s mother and sister
E. The husband, children, woman’s mother, sister and uncle
SOLUTION: The best answer is E. The husband, children, woman’s mother, sister and uncle.
Under the Fatal Accidents Act 1976, the following are eligible to claim in the name of the executor or
administrator of the deceased’s estate (known as ‘dependants’):
- a spouse or former spouse of the deceased, or person who was living as the spouse of the deceased, in
the same household immediately before the date of the death and had been so living for at least two
- any parent or other ascendant of the deceased or person treated by the deceased as his parent;
- any child or other descendant of the deceased or any person who has been treated as a child of the
family in relation to any marriage of the deceased;
- any person who is, or is the issue of, a brother, sister, uncle or aunt of the deceased.
The fact pattern therefore suggests that the husband, children, woman's mother, sister and uncle are all
'dependants' as per the Fatal Accidents Act 1976. The woman provided financial support to her children,
husband (who was unemployed for a long period before her death) and to her mother, as well as physical
support to her disabled sister (cleaning) and old uncle (cooking). The heads of damage that can be
claimed under the Fatal Accidents Act 1976 are dependency for both financial support and services.
Hence, E is the best option.
The OSCE Course
• The practical assessment aims to test higher level of knowledge, understanding and ability
to accurately advise clients in all 3 legal practice areas, using a variety of skills.
• Based on the assessment system used for medical students – practical, not theoretical
• The skills of Interviewing, Advocacy, Legal Writing, Legal Drafting and Online Legal
Research are assessed through various simulated legal environments known as OSCE
‘stations’. The techniques to create these stations include the use of actors as interview
clients and professional online legal databases
• You should understand the relevant legal principles and be able to explain those to the
client or argue those in a mock hearing, know which documents to use and also to draft
various documents yourself when needed
The OSCE Course
• The course is designed to bridge the gap between your academic study of
the three practice areas, foundation subjects and legal skills which can only
be gained through practising experience
• The preparation – like the assessment – emphasises practice over theory
• Personalised preparation course available with an expert tutor guiding you
from day one through a programme customised especially for your
particular needs and goals
• Our expert tutors are drawn from Qualified Solicitors and Barristers, Senior
University Law Lecturers, as well as SRA External Examiners on The Legal
The OSCE Course – What is Included?
QLTS School’s course for the OSCE includes the following:
• An initial interview with one of our senior tutors to assess your experience
and level of training required and to discuss any initial questions that you
may have with regards to the practical assessments and the course
• Detailed tailor-made study plan prepared by our senior tutor designed
specifically to meet your personal needs and requirements
• OSCE Course Guide
• OSCE practice area summaries (about 200 pages in total) – covering the
essential elements of the law and practice of Property Law & Probate, Civil
& Criminal Litigation, and Business Law.
The OSCE Course – What is Included? -
• Expert guidance and direct contact with your tutor and response to general academic
• Exam-type practice questions and mock exams with points to note or self-assessment
guides in the three legal practice areas in the context of the five skills
• A series of legal research videos
• Mock practice stations: one-to-one tutor support for the five skills (e.g. 1 practice mock
assessment in Interviewing, Advocacy/Oral Presentation, Legal Drafting, Legal Writing
and Online Legal Research). Each mock practice station will be personally marked by one
of our senior tutors, who will give you substantive feedback based on the SRA marking
criteria to help you prepare for the OSCE assessment
The OSCE Course – What is Included?
• Free periodic updates for the course materials
• QLTS Skills Online (Advantage and Premium courses only), an
innovative and interactive online support tool with more than 60
exercises, covering the skills required on the OSCE assessment
• Networking opportunities and online interaction with other
MCT Course – Which Plan Is For You?
MCT Basic MCT Advantage MCT Premium
1,000+ practice questions
15 mock tests
2 hours tutor support
Initial guidance and customised study plan
Cost £890 £1,190 £1,490
Delivery: Free in UK, £40 to Europe/US, £90 r.o.w
OSCE Course – How Much Practice Do You Need?
OSCE Basic OSCE Advantage OSCE Premium
Initial interview with dedicated senior tutor
Detailed customised study plan
OSCE Course Guide
Self-assessment practice materials
Expert guidance and direct contact with
OSCE practice area summaries
QLTS Skills Online
Mock practice stations with personal tutor
5 mock stations
(2 on OSCE Part I and
3 on OSCE Part II)
7 mock stations
(3 on OSCE Part I and
4 on OSCE Part II)
10 mock stations
(4 on OSCE Part I and
6 on OSCE Part II)
Cost £1,390 £1,890 £2,390
Exc. LPC textbooks (approx. £170)
Don’t Just Take Our Word For It…
• Check out interviews with some of
our successful candidates who
passed the QLTS assessments on
their first attempt
• Proven tips, strategies and advice
from QLTS veterans!