Successfully reported this slideshow.
Activate your 14 day free trial to unlock unlimited reading.
Insight and Feedback
Open House Session
Tuesday 17 June 2014
Our vision for insight & feedback
“Our ambition is for the NHS to become a world class
customer service. Above all this means always listening
to what our patients & service users tell us.
By routinely gathering people’s comments, feedback,
complaints & suggestions, we can construct a rich
database of information & evidence that will enable us to
commission the services people want. This is what we
mean by insight”
Transforming participation in health & care Sept 2013
NHS England Business Plan
• A deeper understanding of how users of NHS services view aspects of
the care they receive is essential to make services better
• National staff and patient surveys facilitate the benchmarking of
services, and are particularly valuable in helping improve the
experience of groups who may be socially disadvantaged
• The Friends & Family Test will enable staff and patient feedback to be
gathered in a more responsive and granular way, allowing care
providers to make rapid improvements in patient experience at local
• We will use modern techniques such as social and digital media to
supplement other forms of insight, so that we hear views from all
sections of society and understand what people are saying about the
health services they want to receive”
What does insight mean?
• Using qualitative and quantitative
data to inform what we do
• Using whatever data sources we
have - not just surveys but a
whole range of market and social
• Always asking the question, what
don’t we know?
• As much an art as science
“The most important single
change in the NHS in response
to this report would be for it to
become, more than ever before,
a system devoted to continual
learning and improvement of
patient care, top to bottom and
end to end”
A promise to learn – a
commitment to act
The Berwick Report
In depth interviews
Experience Based Co-Design
& patient forums
GP Patient Survey
Cancer Patient Experience Survey
NHS Staff Survey
(kiosks, SMS, apps)
Matrix of insight methods from Measuring patient experience: evidence scan Health Foundation, June 2013
Friends & Family Test
• 2.5 million responses to date
• Increasing examples of ‘You said,
• Introduction of ‘Quiet Protocol’ to
help patients sleep well at night
• Fitting of shelves in patient toilets
for patients to leave their
• Introduction of medication cards
for patients who are not on the
ward during a drugs round
• Positive impact on staff morale
• Roll out of Friends and Family Test
– December 2014 : GPs, mental health and community
– March 2015 : dental, outpatients, day cases,
• Awareness raising with patients and public
• Review of surveys
• Development of an insight strategy
– Ensuring that feedback data is used to drive
Be the first to like this
Number of Embeds
You have now unlocked unlimited access to 20M+ documents!
Learn faster and smarter from top experts
Download to take your learnings offline and on the go
You also get free access to Scribd!
Instant access to millions of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, podcasts and more.
Read and listen offline with any device.
Free access to premium services like Tuneln, Mubi and more.