Orientation may term 2014 - maximizing academic success
at the Northeast Center of Empire State College
Helping You Connect the Pieces for
• Academic Support Programs & Resources
What is it?
Who can help me?
What is available?
How do I get support?
• Questions? (Stop me and ask throughout)
Helping You Connect the Pieces
for Academic Success
The Pieces of Academic Success
Who Can Help You?
• Learning Coaches – college employees who work with
students in all areas of the writing process and related study skills
strategies including time management, organization, reading
efficiency, goal setting, critical thinking, library research skills,
note-taking, and learning skills.
• Peer Coaches – current undergraduate or graduate students who
assist other students by focusing on enhancing general study skills,
tutoring in specific content areas, navigating through college
resources, and developing study strategies within their Areas of
The Academic Support Team
Peer Coaching Coordinator
Academic Eye Instructor
Director of Academic Support
Peer Coaching Team
Psychology & Writing
Using Microsoft Office
& Time Management
Time Management, Communication,
Writing & Organization
Who are you as a learner?
Who is in your support network?
What qualities and/or work/life skills
do you have that you think will be a
positive benefit to your academic
What tendancies, commitments, skill
sets,, etc. do you see as potential
obstacles to your academic success?
What tools and resources do you
have or plan on using this term to
maximiize your academic success?
When will you have time to do your academic work?
When will you make time for school work on a weekly
and daily basis throughout the term?
Where can you get your work done
at home or another location?
Where can you concentrate best?
Why are you here at
Why are you motivated
How do you learn best?
How do you prefer to organize yourself?
(see packet for handout)
• Individual Appointments
• Workshops (online & onsite)
• Credit and non-credited studies/courses
• Content Area Tutoring - FREE online tutoring provided by the
college through Smarthinking
• Customized Organizational Tools
• Datebook & Terms-at-a-glance
• Other resources available online at
How Do We Help? -- QUICK LIST
www.necacademicsupport.pbworks.com All your academic support resources in one
convenient location, open 24/7
You can watch
What is Smarthinking?
Smarthinking is an online tutorial service that is available to
ESC students free of charge 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
1st set up your account:
a 2nd Term Student
Why I am attending Empire State College (ESC)
Success Tips from a 2nd Semester Student
• How ESC is different for me vs. other colleges I have attended:
• Offers different approaches to study: independent study, residencies, classes,
and the ability to use prior learning experience for credit.
• Class sizes are smaller than what I was used to.
• ESC is heavy into written work. Get ready to write!
• Professors are very assessable to you (through making an appointment).
• There are many ways to obtain academic support: Director of Academic
Support; Learning Coaches; Peer Coaches; Workshops, & Online Resources.
• Strategies for Success:
• I best utilize my academic time requirements by using the computer lab. On
weekends I use the public library system. Find your own best “study spot”
• Develop a study plan – this plan will become your best asset to completing
your work on time.
• Do NOT ever be afraid to ask for help!!!!!
To every extent possible,
enjoy what you are doing.
If you chose ESC – this will be YOUR College,
YOUR work, YOUR grades, and YOUR degree.
Don’t make it difficult on yourself.