RBFF Lapsed Boater Program


Published on

Published in: Education, Sports, Business
1 Like
  • Be the first to comment

No Downloads
Total views
On SlideShare
From Embeds
Number of Embeds
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide
  • Simply put – our mission is to increase participation in boating and fishing.
  • New homepage redesign Goal is to keep customers on the site for longer period of time, and customize the site to their interests. Total Visits FY 2008 – 1.06 million FY 2009 - 2.4 million FY 2010 – 3.1 million FY 2011 – 4 million and 3.3 Million Unique Visitors FY 2012 ( thru 8/31) – 2.4 Million - Unique Visitors (3.3 Million in FY 2011) 2.8 Million – Total Visits (4 Million in FY 2011) In FY 2011, the Boating Responsibly home page had 4,848 page views.  For FY 2012, as of 9/9, we have 9,565 page views.
  • Similarly, we directly link to state boat registration pages. Boat registration referrals: FY 2009 - 10,440 boat registration referrals FY 2010 - 66,630 FY 2011 – 62,861 FY 2012 – 56,300 Top 5 States (FY 2011) 1.Georgia 2. Texas 3. Florida 4. Illinois 5. Massachusetts
  • The Boat Registration Pilot Program is a direct mail focused marketing program. Lapsed boat owners are mailed one of three direct mail pieces.
  • Oregon was the first state to pilot our Boat Registration Program in 2009. Ohio implemented a Boat Registration Program in late April this year.  Their mail pieces are shown here. We are also working with Florida and Tennessee to implement similar programs this year. We will be expanding this program to up to 15 states next year.
  • Partnered with Ohio DNR Division of Watercraft to implement pilot marketing program to increase boat registrations, similar to previous successful pilot in Oregon. Boaters in Ohio whose registration expired in March 2010 were mailed one of three remittance forms to encourage them to re-register their boat. OHIO RESULTS: In April 2011, owners of 23,376 lapsed boat registrations were sent one of three different remittance forms. Based on a comparison of boat owners who received the mailing and those who did not, the program resulted in: 796 lapsed boats registered during the 42-day evaluation period $15,912.22 of new net revenue from lapsed boat registrations over and above the cost of the direct mail program $2,474.19 estimated additional revenue from allocations from the Sport Fish Restoration and Boating Trust Fund Similar pilots are also currently being implemented in Florida and Tennessee. We are expanding this program in more states next year – rolling out similar to the Fishing License Marketing Program.
  • On April 26, 2011, the owners of 23,376 lapsed boat registrations were sent direct mail pieces reminding them about the relaxation and excitement associated with boating and fishing and the importance of renewing their registrations. Two separate target audiences were identified based on the primary use of the boat as designated on the registration record. Only boats used primarily for fishing or pleasure were included in the overall target audience. Approximately 22% of the lapsed boat registrations in the target audience were used primarily for fishing; the remaining 78% were used primarily for pleasure. Boat owners received one of three remittance forms.
  • Boat owners who marked ‘fishing’ as their primary use received a 4-color remittance form tailored specifically to fishing enthusiasts., including the headline: “ The fish are in the water. Shouldn't you be in your boat?” The form also included a section outlining Ohio’s fish species and upcoming fish runs and information on where to find them.
  • One‑half of the pleasure boat owners, selected at random, received a four-color remittance form featuring a promotional boating message.
  • The remaining pleasure boat owners received a standard black and white remittance form with no graphic treatment.
  • As part of the analysis, we account for undeliverable addresses, boats that have been taken out of service, boats that have been sold, and owners who registered their boats prior to receiving the mailing. Among the 22,833 lapsed boats that were part of the overall mailing list, there were 1,354 boats registered during the evaluation period, or 5.9% of lapsed boats. The program included control groups, and we also conducted a ‘lift’ analysis by comparing the treatment groups to control groups. This allows you to estimate the number of registrations that can be attributed directly to the direct mail program by accounting for the number of boats that would have been registered if no mailings had occurred.
  • So overall, the program resulted in a lift of 3.5 percentage points, or a net increase of 796 lapsed boats registered during the 42-day evaluation period. What does this mean in terms of revenue?
  • The revenue is based on the increase in boat registrations that are directly attributed to the program. Registration fees were calculated for all boats registered during the evaluation period based on a weighted average of about $37 Based on 796 boats, the total estimated revenue from the lapsed boat registrations is $29,353.69. Program printing, production and postage costs were $13,441.47. 430 boats were needed to break-even, and we had 796. That’s $15,912.22 of new net revenue from lapsed boat registrations over and above the cost of the program. And an estimated $2,474.19 in additional revenue from SFR & Boating Trust Fund. That’s approximately $18,400 in new revenue to Ohio!
  • Overall, this pilot program helps demonstrate the importance of customer service. Communicating with your customers and being relevant, top-of-mind, with your customer. Constant communication and reminders help generate revenue for your agency. I’ll let Rick talk to you more about what the program means to ODOW and their next steps… … ODOW is very pleased with these results and plans to build on the program results next year… Please talk to us if you are interested!!
  • Initial discussion with TX & LA
  • RBFF Lapsed Boater Program

    1. 1. RBFF Boat Registration Marketing Programs <ul><li>Stephanie Hussey </li></ul><ul><li>Director of State Initiatives </li></ul><ul><li>September 12, 2011 </li></ul>
    2. 2. RBFF’s Mission <ul><li>To implement an informed consensus-based national outreach strategy that will increase participation in recreation angling and boating and thereby increase public awareness and appreciation of the need for protecting, conserving, and restoring this nation’s aquatic natural resources. </li></ul>
    3. 3. Integrated National Outreach Our Approach
    4. 4. TakeMeFishing.org
    5. 5. Annual Referrals To State Boat Registration Pages
    6. 6. <ul><li>Marketing program to increase boat registrations </li></ul><ul><li>Encourage ‘lapsed’ boat owners to re-register boats </li></ul><ul><li>Direct mail program with three mail pieces </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Fishing-focused, color </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Boating-focused, color </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Standard renewal form, black and white </li></ul></ul>Boat Registration Pilot Program
    7. 7. Participating States <ul><li>Oregon </li></ul><ul><li>Ohio </li></ul><ul><li>Florida </li></ul><ul><li>Tennessee </li></ul>
    8. 8. Ohio DNR – Div. of Watercraft Joint Partnership
    9. 9. Target Audience <ul><li>23,376 owners of boats with expired registrations </li></ul><ul><li>In Ohio, boaters mark the ‘primary use’ of their watercraft on the registration form </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Approximately 22% of the lapsed boat registrations marked ‘fishing’ </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>The remaining 78% were used primarily for pleasure </li></ul></ul>
    10. 10. Fishing-focused Remittance Form
    11. 11. Boating-focused Remittance Form
    12. 12. Standard Remittance Form
    13. 13. Ohio Program Results Registration Rates Fishing-focused Boating-focused Standard ALL Boats Final Reconciled List 4,967 8,933 8,933 22,833 Newly Registered Boats 335 492 527 1,354 Response Rate 6.7% 5.5% 5.9% 5.9%
    14. 14. Ohio Program Results Lift Analysis Overall Target Group/Mailing Lift (% points) Lift (Boats) All Boats – Treatment Overall 3.5 796
    15. 15. Ohio Program Results Revenue Registration Revenue $29,353.69 Program Costs $13,441.47 Net Program Revenue $15,912.22 SFR & Boating Trust Fund $2,474.19
    16. 16. Program Success <ul><li>ODOW is pleased with the results and plans to build on the program results next year </li></ul>
    17. 17. Next Steps <ul><li>Expanding program with up to 15 additional states </li></ul><ul><ul><li>RBFF provides funding </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>RBFF handles printing and mailing </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>RBFF handles data analysis and evaluation </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Agency provides state boat registration data </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Agency provides customized state information and approval of mailers </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Agency receives revenue </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Together, we increase boat registrations </li></ul></ul>
    18. 18. Thank You Stephanie Hussey [email_address] (703) 778-5152