In 1932, Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis memorably remarked that the U.S. federal system allowed any individual state to be a “laboratory” for experiments in policy, without putting the rest of the nation at risk
National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA) - John Fetterman
The National Association of State
Boating Law Administrators
St. Petersburg, Florida
June 27, 2016
• Education Standards
• On the water/classroom
• 3 levels of certification
• 10 Domains
• Official launch – September in Rapid City
• Operation Dry Water
• June 30 – July 2nd , 2017
• Alcohol use is the leading known contributing factor in fatal boating accidents.
• Listed as the leading factor in 15% of deaths. Lowest since ODW began in 2009.
• Participation in every U.S. state and territories.
• 9,000 first responders
• 22 courses +
• 21 Accredited Partners > 9 in process
• AMS and LMS transition
• Life Jacket Association
• New Leadership within BSX
• NSBC - Summit
• National Water Safety Congress – Cold Water Immersion
Building consensus and collaboration
• Between our Staff, Executive Board and Members
• Professional development
• Association – building strong partners
• Innovative growth
• Not one size fits all
• State to State Peer support
• Laboratories for democracy.
Why do we like Life Jackets?
• Law enforcement mandatory wear – 100% Member agencies
• Loaner jackets
• Increase wear rates within RBS
• Army Corps Projects – WORK!
• They save lives !
• Video produced by NASBLA’s LE Committee: