How to become an
By: Murray Newlands
Who am I
• Thought Leader
• Influencer Marketing
• Obtained a green card to move to the USA as an
“alien of extraordinary ability” through thought
Who am I
• Twitter 900,000
• Facebook 48,000
• Vine 390,000
• Instagram 115,000
• YouTube 30,000
• Pinterest 40,000
• Periscope 14,000
• Contribute to major publications
"21 Thought Leaders Every
Entrepreneur Should Follow in 2016 "
"The Top 10 People to Know in Silicon
"50 Online Marketing Influencers to
Watch in 2016"
"Murray Newlands, whose book
provide original scholarly business
contributions of major significance to
What is Influencer YOU
• “Become a thought leader by clarifying and share
your expert knowledge to change the world, drive
sales, develop a network and get what you want.”-
• Audience +Build Trust + Top of Mind = Opportunity
• Become a thought leader.
• Build a brand reputation.
• Get customers.
• Stay top of mind.
• Become a speaker.
• Get a new job.
Who are influencers?
• Tony Robbins
• Al Gore
• Marc Benioff
• Gary Vaynerchuk
• Tim Ferris
Why are they influential?
Why not just do PR?
“15 years ago, there were two PR people for every
reporter in the country. Now there are 4.8 PR people
for every reporter” - muckrack.com
•2000: 65,900 news reporters, and 128,600 public
•2015: 45,800 news reporters, and 218,000 public
relations people - U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Become the media to grow and maintain an audience
where you are top of mind.
Influencers stay top of mind
Consistently publishing great content keeps you top of
Generate new customers
Reassure existing customers
Becoming an Influencer
• What do you want to be known for?
• What thoughts can you convey?
• Identify audience and their needs / pains / desires
• Create a content strategy
Focus on your audience
• Understand who your audience is to make great
• Go beyond demographics.
• What are their interests?
• Where do they live online, which social platforms?
• Who are their influencers?
Understanding what publishers
• Content needs to be great, not just good.
• It is about providing value to the readers for their time.
• Great titles
• It is now all about you
• Is it something new?
• Does your story matter?
• Does anyone care about your story?
• How does it/will it/could it affect people?
The Big Three:
Questions You Must Ask
• Is It Interesting?
• Does it provide excitement and engagement from an
external point of view?
• Is It Relevant?
• A pitch idea must be both interesting and relevant.
• Does It Serve Our Interests?
• Every pitch should be fine-tuned to make sure it
serves the best interests of your company.
What Your Content Should Be
• Practical Content
• Case studies, “how to” posts, etc.
• Add your perspective to current events/news stories.
• Holidays, seasons, events, etc.
• Ride Trends
• Current events and popular memes allow you to
engage crossover audiences.
• Quirky, creative, unique stories to catch peoples’
• Conflict/differences of opinion drives traffic.
• People love numbers, numbers make great headlines.
Make it personal
• Readers buy from humans
• Write about your personal
• Write about your lessons from
It takes a Team
• If you are not a great writer, then hire one.
• Do you know how to write for publications?
• Do you have time?
• Edit before your editor
• If you can not do all this amazingly hire someone who
can help you.
How to get into bigger
• Great content
• Work you way up
• Trade publications first
• Be consistent and build your portfolio
• It is all about relationships
• What is shareable :
• Why would anyone want to share the content?
• Develop and produce shareable newsworthy content.
• Publications want traffic and you want readers
What Constitutes Shareable /
• Makes the audience look
• Build a relationship with the press
• It is not a one night stand
• What would they like to do next?
• How can you help them?
• Are there events you are both going to?
Reuse the content
• Reuse the content in as many forms across as many
mediums as possible.
• Post it on LinkedIn, Medium, Facebook etc.
The Do’s & Don’ts
• DON’T be explicitly sales-y.
• No one will publish your content
• It will put off customers
10 Ways to Build Your Fan Base
• Create Unique Content
• Interact With Your Fans
• Offer Incentives
• Stay Current
• Use Contests
• Take Advantage of Free Tools
• Use Facebook Ads
• Use Twitter & Pinterest Effectively
• Use Your Fans as Marketers
Big gets Bigger
• The bigger you are as an influencer and the more
opportunities you will get, the bigger an influencer
• Small publications ---> Large ones
• Local speaking gigs ---> Keynotes
• Influencers cross-promote Influencers
• Success = more money to grow bigger
• Becoming an influencer is not just for the boss.
• Help you stand out and get promoted
• Help you get to conferences
• Build the image for the job you want
• How to convince your boss to let you become a
thought- leading influencer
Why all entrepreneurs should become
• Leading the field
• Become a speaker
Want to become an influencer
• It is not an overnight thing
• If you have money but not time pay for expert help.