In Retail industry beacons are used to drive customer engagement, increase sales, or build loyalty through personalized marketing. Know more about beacons in retail industry and how it is changing its lanscape.
Beacon Applications for Retail Industry
Beacons - At a glance
● Beacons are small devices that transmit radio signals using Bluetooth
● Beacon technology allows apps installed on mobile devices to listen to signals
from beacon devices.
● Hyper-contextualized content is being delivered to the users based on their
Concept of Proximity Marketing
● Beacon technology uses this concept of proximity marketing.
● Proximity marketing is a wireless advertisement of the products based in a
particular region or area.
● Advertisements can be received by only those individuals who wish to see them
● Distribution of advertisements can be through traditional localized broadcast i.e.
How does Proximity Marketing work?
to be downloaded
by target consumer
beacon in the area
device at the
work best when
you catch up at
the right time
Category by search
Internal Navigation and Floor Map
Proximity marketing enhancing retail business
● A new approach of marketing for retail business
● Use of mobile channels to advertise content to consumers
● Clients/customers receive fixed messages when they are at certain place
● For instance, when a customer is in the proximity of your cloth store, he/she
receives a message offering discount on a particular brand.
Common Objectives of Beacon Application:
● Promote consumer awareness
● Use potential of differentiated data
● Focus on providing quality and relevant Content
● Transactional Data Analysis to form effective promotion strategy
● Maintain customer Loyalty and increase repeat customers
● Offer an integrated platform from coupons to counter sale
Opportunities for retailers
The impressive growth trend of beacon technology is due to the accessibility of wide
range of fresh and advanced marketing opportunities.
Retailers can benefit by:
● Provide personalized experience to customers
● Time relevant advertisement
● Impactful triggers at a particular region
● Better user engagement for the customer
Things to do for Retailers
● Detection: Detect your customers at all the locations of your organization or
● Insights: Gain valuable insights into the customers’ visits, walk-throughs and
the dwelling time. Target those customers based on gained insights.
● Drive in Loyalty: Keep your customers engaged by providing proximity based
coupons and offers.
Reduce your overall marketing cost
● One time investment into beacon technology
● Quick design cycles get products to the market
● Enhanced range of beacons give more opportunities
● Operability between multiple vendors
Increase footfall to your outlet
● Use Location based notifications to invite customers to enter nearby store.
● For instance, send welcome message, greet them when they leave or give
rewards to them in the form of discount or coupons to motivate them to come
back on your store.
Near mannequins Shopping Malls Food Courts and Restaurants
Movie Hall and Art Galleries Advertising Boards
Beacons mainly used in...
Do beacons really increase store sales?
65% 59 % 24 %
Retailers say they are able to target
the customers efficiently with the
help of beacon technology
Of those who deployed beacons
say they have registered a
steady growth in sales
Of the customers are opined of
being more engaged in stores
having installed beacons
Multidots Solutions Pvt. Ltd.
C-202, Ganesh Meridian, Nr. Sola Over-Bridge,
S.G. Highway, Sola Ahmedabad – 380060,
2301 Gallows Road Suite 205, Dunn Loring,
Virginia – 22027, United States