* A verb is a word that
expresses action or state
Principal Parts of Verbs are called the base form,
the past, the past participle.
* Regular verbs form their past tense by adding –ed:
looked, moved, played
* Irregular verbs do not add –ed to form their past
tense: ate, read, sought
* An action verb expresses mental or physical action
(It’s what you DO!)
1. We watched the baseball game on channel 10.
2. Sheila thought hard about her answer.
** Action verbs can be transitive or intransitive
- Transitive verbs have a direct object
- Intransitive verbs do not have a direct object
* A linking verb is a verb that connects or links the
subject of the sentence to a subjective complement
* There are two types of subject complements: predicate
nouns and predicate adjectives.
⇒A predicate noun is a noun or pronoun that comes after a
linking verb and renames the subject:
- Julia was a lawyer for ten years.
⇒A predicate adjective is an adjective that comes after a
linking verb and describes the subject:
- Ken seems happy to be here.
The most common linking verbs are the being
verbs: is, are, was, were, am, be, being, been
Other linking verbs include: appear,
become, feel, grow, look, remain, seem,
smell, sounds, stay, taste, turn
*BE CAREFUL! Some verbs an be either action OR linking.
The chef tastes the soup before serving it. (action)
The soup tastes delicious. (linking)
If you are not sure, try replacing the verb with a being verb – if the
sentence means the same thing & makes sense, it is linking. If the
subject DOES the action, it is an action.
SIMPLE VERB TENSES
* The tense of a verb tells when the action takes place.
⇒ The present tense names an action that is happening now or happens
1. I hear the phone ringing.
2. Kathy reads every day.
⇒The past tense names an action that has already happened
4. In 1995, Kathy and Len traveled to England for their son’s wedding.
⇒The future tense names an action that will take place later in time
5. Helen will wear her blue dress to the CYO dance on Friday.
6. Maisy’s dad will drive us all to the movies.
373 Text pg
A helping verb can be used with the main verb to show tense, voice, and mood.
⇒ A main verb with all its helping verbs form a verb phrase
Laura was writing in her journal.
The class should have been listening to the wise teacher.
Students at Christ the King School will be performing in the Christmas show.
⇒Modals are helping verbs that show mood or attitude. Common modals:
might could did
Voice of a verb can be active or passive
Active voice shows the subject doing the action:
Carl cut the rope.
Mr. Severino taught the class about algebra.
Passive voice shows the action performed on, to or by the subject
The rope was cut by Carl.
The algebra class has been taught by Mr. Severino for years.
PARTICIPIAL VERB FORMS
Verbs have four principal parts that are used to form all tenses
The present perfect tense names an action that happened at an indefinite time in
the past, OR about actions that occurred in the past and still happen now
The present perfect tense uses the helping verb have or
has and the past participle of the main verb:
I have seen this movie before
Sally has played soccer on our team for years
The past perfect tense names an action that happened before another action or
event in the past.
The past perfect tense uses the helping verb had and the
past participle of the main verb
We had studied ancient Egypt two years ago.
Julie had learned to dance before she was three
Write each sentence
Highlight each verb
Is the verb ACTION or LINKING?
Sr. Trudy sounded the fire alarm.
Elaine’s project sounds very ambitious.
Stan smelled the fresh hot pizza.
Francis seems nervous about his speech tomorrow.
The cool breeze feels refreshing.
Highlight the verb or verb phrase.
Is the verb in PAST, PRESENT, or FUTURE tense?
1. We will prepare a science lesson about Galileo’s achievements.
2. Galileo made several important discoveries with early telescopes.
3. According to legend, he ground the lenses himself.
4. Our teacher shows us films about scientists each week.
5. In one picture, Galileo looks at sunspots and craters on the moon.
6. The students will see reproductions of Galileo’s early observations.
Highlight the verb or verb phrase
Is the verb in ACTIVE or PASSIVE voice?
Trish and John played a game of tennis.
The Timmons family purchased popcorn at the movies.
Coal is mined in Pennsylvania.
That joke was told by Jerome.
Juianne does her math work very well.
A clever title for the book was suggested by Christy.
The roasted almonds were devoured by Mrs. Severino.
Change the sentence so the verb will be ACTIVE VOICE
7. The garage was cleaned by Henry.
8. The lovely bouquet was chosen by Maria.
Change the sentence so the verb will be PASSIVE VOICE
9. Flora and Rob visited the Philadelphia Museum of Art.
10. Nonna made these delicious cannoli.