In the beginning…
• January 1996, Google is founded by Larry Page and Sergey Brin.
– Research project while at Stanford University
• Used technology PageRank to create a more efficient search engine.
– They believed that a system could analyze the relationship between a website
and a searched item.
• The first product was called BackRub, and appeared on the Stanford
• In 1998 Google started to gain popularity.
– The first funding of Google was $100,000 from Andy
• Google became a public company in 2004 selling shares
of $85 per share.
• In 1999 Google had 1 office located in
– By 2003 they expanded to having 3 offices
• Began to make income from pay-per-click
Acquisitions and Partnerships
• In 2001 Google began acquiring many
• A few of the top acquired companies by
Google are Keyhole inc. (Google Earth),
YouTube, and Grand Central (Google
• They also partnered with NASA Ames
Research Center, AOL, Microsoft, and