Why Write a Report?
The purpose of the written report is to
present the results of your research, but
more importantly to provide a persuasive
argument to readers of what you have
Step 1 - Research
As this report is based on an
ethnographic field study it
should be based initially on
your notes from the SOR trip,
reinforced by information from
reliable sources including
textbooks, data base, library
resources and reliable web
pages. You may also undertake
further field work in Emerald.
Step 2 – Organising Your Data
Once you have collected sufficient information
you need to:
•Analyse your information
– Does it answer the focus questions?
–Is there sufficient information to answer all focus
–Which are the most valuable/reliable sources?
–Does it support your hypothesis?
–Refine focus questions and hypothesis if necessary.
Step 3 – Writing your report
Your report MUST have:
• A title page
– your name, teachers name, due date, 2 religions chosen
– You can use the title page function in word to create this.
• A contents page
– each heading and the page on which it appears
– Use the Contents page feature in Word to do this.
– Headings – suggestions follow
– Remember to use the correct heading style in Word.
– Use of citations feature in Word will simplify creating your
• Annotated Bibliography
– See Bibliography Powerpoint in student materials
– photos, pamphlets, handouts etc
The introduction should identify the purpose
of the report. It should:
•Outline what the report is about
The purpose of this report is to …
•Identify your hypothesis
The material dimension is more evident in Religion
2. Religion 1
• Give a brief introduction to the key beliefs
and Importance in Australia of belief
e.g. Religion 1 originated in … The key beliefs are… In
2.1 The Material Dimension in Religion 1.
• Outline the key materials and how they are
important to the religion
e.g. In a Religion 1 temple, the most common
material/symbol/feature is… It is significant
2.2 Ritual Dimension of Religion 1
e.g. In Religion 1 many rituals are performed. These
2.3 Analysis of Connection between Material
and Ritual Dimensions in Religion 1
e.g. Religion 1 uses a number of materials in
3. Religion 2
• Same as for Relgion 1
3.1 Material Dimension in Religion 2
3.2 Ritual Dimension in Religion 2
3.3 Analysis of connection between material and
ritual dimensions in Religion 2
• Discussion of the validity of your hypothesis ie which
religion relies most on materials to support its rituals.
E.g. The materials in religion 1 support its rituals more
• links to the rest of your report.
• highlights the significant elements from your report .
• draws out the main points you want to make about the
topic - and makes them at a general level.
• avoids introducing new material.