What is a Website
• A website is a collection of web pages all
related to the same topic.
• It contains combination of media such as:
Good or Bad Website
• What makes a good website
– Easy to use
– Common themes (font, back ground, text)
– Colour schemes readable
– Navigation in a common place
– Not to cluttered
• What makes a bad website
– Hard to read
– Hard to find links
– Colour to bright
– Text to small
– Themes changing on every page
Class Discussion Point
• Is this website good or bad?
• Collect the website comparison sheet from
your teacher and compare and evaluate
the supplied websites.
The Software Development
Design may change if
application does not
work as expected
• This stage is make it absolutely clear what the project is
supposed to do.
– The aims of the application - Purpose
– Who will be using it? - Audience
– What will be in it? - Content
– How much money can be spent? - Budget
– How long have you got? - Timescales
• At the end of the stage a requirements specification will
• Collect the project brief sheet from your teacher and
read the paragraph and complete the table
It is worthwhile spending time working out important details.
• content of the project
• the number and type of graphics required
• the need for sound files and video clips.
•Most importantly you need to consider how it all links together.
The best way to do all of this is to make out a storyboard.
A storyboard is a detailed plan that defines what the different
parts of the project are and how they are linked together
At the design stage you should also plan out your pages and
decide on a suitable layout.
• In any multimedia application, screens will
have to be linked together in a logical
• This can either be in a hierarchical, linear
or web structure.
• This structure consists of a number or slides or pages
that follow each other, normally used in a business
Slide 1 Slide 2 Slide 3
• This structure organises things into to topics, with sub
topics and headings.
• This is less restrictive than linear format and the user
can link to any main area from the home page
Main Topic 1 Main Topic 2 Main Topic 3
Sub Topic 1 Sub Topic 2 Sub Topic 3
• Allows the user to create their own information flow,
which may change from user to user
• Make it:
– Create and combine all the media elements
using the pre-decided authoring software.
• Does each screen and link work as
– If not can it be fixed or does it have to have
the design altered.
• Write the documentation:
– The user guide
• Advice on how to use the software and
provide users with any other help.
• Is it Fit for Purpose?
Does it do what you said it would at the analysis
• Is it suitable for your planned Audience?
How do you know? What design features make
• Does the Navigation work as planned?
• Does your final site match your storyboard?
What's good about your design? if no then why
not, what did you change and why?
• What would you do differently next time?
Reflect on your learning. What did you find
difficult? Is there an easier way to do it? What
did you do well? Why?